Neutering-Extras for surgery necessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question Neutering-Extras for surgery necessary?

I am having my 20 month old male neutered today. I took him in there this morning around 10. I get in there and expected of course to sign the authorize for the surgery but really surprised by the long list of extras. There was CBC, electric heart monitoring,pain meds,teeth cleaning and these were all with additional charges of course. I did choose the pain meds for him but at an extra $50. I was made to feel that to ensure I got the best care for him I needed all of them. I have to stay on budget and I was told the surgery would be $125 in advance but was surprised by the long list of extras. I do not want a huge bill that I can't pay for but I felt horrible. It would be $250 or more if I has chose all those extras. The tech told me I had them done for my dog when I got him neutered. I felt bad but I am wondering are these extras necessary or are they trying to guilt people into these services for money? Is $185 for a neuter normal? That is what the bill will be because I did choose the pain meds. I am just wondering what services and price wise everyone else has paid for a neuter? Did you have any extras? Did you feel bad about not getting the extras?

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM

There were some extras in my case also. I had both dogs done at the same time, male and female. The teeth cleaning was skipped in my case because they were not yet 8 months at the time. But I went with pretty much everything else. Total cost for my two was right at $600. I've used the same vet for 9 years now and trust their judgement. I wanted to be sure they had the same medical care I would get for myself.

Ginger

Speak softly and own a big, mean German Shepherd.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

I know some people don't like the spay/neuter clinics...but I checked our local one out and talked to a lot of people before getting my lady spayed in Texas. With the extra pain meds, cone, and microchipp it was $100 for all of it...and we had no problems at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

That is cheap for a neuter. However, I hate it when they push the extras on you at the last minute. They should be monitoring his heart rate anyways! My girl was only out for 20 minutes to have a lump removed and her heart rate bottomed out. They wouldn't have known if they weren't monitoring it!

CBC is just to check the basic bloodwork. My vets don't really push that unless it's an older dog. Teeth cleaning...go get a toothbrush and do it yourself. If you feed RAW then you probably don't even need to worry about. Alot of vets will recommend cleaning teeth while the animals are already under. It's not a bad practice.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
vat
Knighted Member

I would be worried if the vet wanted to charge extra to monitor the heart. I would be asking questions about that one. I have heard mixed reviews, some vets ask for all the extras and some not. I would go with the blood work, if my last vet had not done that with my last pup he would have died on the table. That is how we learned he had JRD, I at least go 8 more months with him instead of loosing him that day.

Pain meds are a mixed, I have talked to so many people that believe with a GSD less is better. My girl just got spayed and she has no pain meds. Of course she spent the night and I have no idea what they gave her there. My breeder had her done before I brought her home so it was her vet. But Callan seems fine without pain meds.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

I can see where they would call teeth cleaning an extra but not the others.

What vet lets the dog owner decide if a heart monitor should be used?
That's just weird.

What do they do if you don't pay for it and the dog starts to have problems..."opps sorry...you didn't pay for the monitor so we weren't checking his heart rate??"

Was sterile equipment optional too? geesh
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

I agree- shouldn't they be monitoring the heart anyway? My vet always gives the option of having pre-surgical blood tests in case you've had them done recently for something else or just don't feel it's necessary, and has you sign a waiver saying you've declined them. I've never given pain meds after a spay/neuter but I guess it's up to you- $50 sure seems high! Certainly they could have given a prescription that you could take to Walmart and get it cheaper. I plan to have Stosh's hips xrayed when he's in to be neutered but that was my idea not the vet's. Fortunately my vet doesn't pile on the extras, especially when you're on the spot like that.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM

The additional line items that a vet adds on at the last minute should raise questions about their practice and work ethics !
$50 for pain meds ..come on !
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM

I would think heart monitoring would be included in a neuter. 185 doesn't seem to high to me, including the meds..does that include CBC? The teeth cleaning I would not go for at the moment unless he really needed it, that can be expensive but I'm sure they are figuring, he's knocked out, good time to clean teeth.

I normally go for the cbc panel, and they always ask if I want a liver/kidney function test which is usually an extra 30$,

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

We went to a spay/neuter clinic to have both of our Frenchies and my rabbit neutered. The only extra was the pain meds, for $14. For each of them, it was only $60, plus the $14 for pain meds. They said it wasn't really necessary for boys getting neutered, but they really opted for anyone getting their girls spayed to have it. We got it for 'em anyway.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page