The vaccination controversy - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Master Member

AFAIK, Dr. Dodds is still one of the people in the front of the scientific part of this debate. I went to a seminar she gave a few years ago. Smart lady.

Changing Vaccine Protocols

Minimal Vaccine Use for Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

i keep my dog current on his
vaccinations. my dog
is around a lot of dogs, farms,
city visits, people, etc.

i feel safer with my dog having his shots.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
Can a titer be done for the rabies? My Ellie will be due for her booster in a couple of months and i am already fretting about this. I have already decided not to vaccinate my 12 yo JRT anymore and don't think i am going to vaccinate my other dogs for anything but rabies (though i am still on the fence about the rabies). I have read too many bad things about vaccines lately.
yes, a titer can be done for rabies - through Dodds is the cheapest way. However, most states will not accept a titer in lieu of vaccination, you have to check your local laws on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Crowned Member

Both of my dogs are up to dat with their shots. My mom is kind of paranoid, but its for the best.lol. We just like to keep our dogs safe and healthy

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
Both of my dogs are up to dat with their shots. My mom is kind of paranoid, but its for the best.lol. We just like to keep our dogs safe and healthy
I think research has shown that re-vaccinating is not always for the best.

By law you must have your dog up to date on their rabies, but the others are not mandatory (depending on where you are and where you go) so researching and seeing what is best (health wise) is wise.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I think research has shown that re-vaccinating is not always for the best.

By law you must have your dog up to date on their rabies, but the others are not mandatory (depending on where you are and where you go) so researching and seeing what is best (health wise) is wise.
Well we have the mandatory ones like Rabies(we have racoons and possums). Should have put that.

Sadly my friend does not.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Jessiewessie, Rabies is the only vaccination you have to give by law. All the others are preventative and most dogs will build up immunity after the first set of puppy shots, If you go to Dr. Dodds site and read up, you'll see that sometimes vaccines do more harm than good:
HEMOPET.HTM

Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol 2009
I linked these two(current) as Uniballer must have clicked on the older information for the link s/he provided.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 08-21-2010 at 09:16 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Yes you can get a rabies titer. Veternarians used to all get vaccinated for rabies as they figure they are at higher risk for getting it than the general population . They only get vaccinated once for it . After that they get titered. They don't get booster vaccinations for it!!!neither should our dogs! The vaccination lasts a lifetime, however when they were doing studies on how long it's lasts they ran out of money. at that point they had proof the vaccine lasted 3 years so that is what they go by. it is very expensive to do studies on vaccinations; dewormers and so on, so the usually don't do them.

The only required vaccine is rabies. The rest are optional although this is not what most vets will lead you to believe. There is a lot of pressure to do yearly vaccinations because it is a HUGE money maker! The U.S. Veternarian society has put out a new protocal that states vaccines need only be done every 3 Years. Many vets were upset by this as it is huge money to them. Many openly said they would not follow this new protocal unless they were forced to.

I have a litter of puppies right now and one of them is going to a veternarian in the U.S. He specifically chose me as it was very important to him to get a puppy that is raw fed and has no vaccines! Word is getting out about the whole vaccine issues and thankfully people are becoming better informed about them and the dangers of them. Inunderstand that vaccines have their "place" but I also understand they have been so abused. There are risks to not vaccinating but there are also risks to vaccinating!

Shelley
Tehillah German Shepherds

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Crowned Member

vaccines

I went from being a fanatic on one side (VACCINATE!) to a fanatic on the other.

The Late Barker Sisters stopped all but rabies vacinations at 3 yo & 6 yo. They got rabies shots for two years after that. They died at 12 & 15 yo and not of communicable diseases that the vaccines would have covered. My dogs traveled with me - thousands of miles. They went to dog shows. They went running out in the country. If anything, their immune systems were probably stronger for being exposed to stuff rather than cloistered at home. Unless there is something new out there that the dogs haven't built immunity to, repeated vaccinations are pretty darned questionable. Some of us lay people and most of the vets remember the stories of way back when distemper and rabies were common killers of dogs. Many of us (I am not the only geezer on the block!) remember when Parvo was taking dogs down right and left.

I do puppy shots. (especially parvo and distemper and rabies) When my vet gets in the three year rabies (its new in Arkansas) I will get that which will cover our next three years here.

Vaccines aren't a panacea. They can be life-savers and I do believe that a dog needs the initial shots. After that -- I even think bordatella is a waste of money and time.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

I do the 3-year rabies because it's required by law, and bordetella because it's required for a lot of the places we go (like training classes.) I do titer testing for the rest if it's an adult dog. I go to a lot of dog places, classes, animal assisted therapy, etc where they require vaccinations but they mostly accept titer testing as an alternative.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page