How do YOU keep your dog comfortable in your vehicle - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How do YOU keep your dog comfortable in your vehicle

Not sure if this is in the right thread....

I'm just curious what others do to keep their dogs cool while traveling in the vehicle.

If we are just going for a short ride, Ava is in the front passanger seat and I keep the air condition vents pointed at her.

If we are going on a long ride, I have her kenneled in the back of our SUV. When she is kenneled, she is not happy unless I have a blanket covering the entire kennel. Therefore, what little bit of AC that would have reached her all the way in the back of the SUV, is definatly not going to get thru the blanket.

So....I have a large bottled water that I keep frozen, and when we are going on a long drive, I put the frozen water bottle in the kennel with her. I figure this is working 2 ways. 1) she can lay against it, etc to keep cool and 2) as the ice is melting, the bottle sweats and she can lick the condensation off if she is thirsty.

Just curious of what others do.

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLaRue View Post

If we are going on a long ride, I have her kenneled in the back of our SUV. When she is kenneled, she is not happy unless I have a blanket covering the entire kennel. Therefore, what little bit of AC that would have reached her all the way in the back of the SUV, is definatly not going to get thru the blanket.

id probably decide she is going to get used to not having the blanket over the kennel. grumpy and cool better than content and not so cool.

my main rule over all is:

if it is hot outside, and i need to stop anywhere that my dog isnt going in with me (outside of a 5 minute gas/minimart stop where i can see my dog), then my dog stays home.

**of course this excludes travelling with my dog.

i know my dog loves to go in the car with me, but if it means more than a few minutes in the car alone, she doesnt come.
quite honestly, i wont leave my dog in the car alone even in cool weather conditions, as i feel the chances of her getting stolen at home are very low versus all the cases ive seen of dogs getting taken from cars in parking lots.

i know some of this may not be related to what you are asking specifically.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 07-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Crowned Member

I take my GSD everywhere with me, unless I am running into a store and I dont have another person with me. I do not leave him outside alone. Sinister lays down on the back seat. He doesn't care to look out the window or stick his head out of it, he just lays down and watches me (he likes it when I sing to him) or he'll take a nap if we are driving far. I put the air on him if it's hot out or I'll roll the windows down.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page