I'm bummed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

I'm bummed

My 11 week old gsd went to the vet yesterday for some shots and the vet told me he should not leave my yard for atleast another 6 weeks until he builds up a vaccine to parvo.I've had dogs all my life and from the time they where pups I always walked them in the woods.I was never aware of this before so I suppose I'm lucky none of my boys got sick.I'm just bummed Thunder is too that we can't go run for another 6 weeks.Last night around 8 pm Thunder sat next me barking like he was saying hey it's time to go for a run so we just stayed in the yard.Is being in the woods really dangerous for him right now?I would appreciate any input on this I certainly don't want my pup getting sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Wow, that's a long time. I have always started taking my puppies out and about right at 8 weeks so long as they had been vaccinated. I didn't take them to places where a ton of dogs had been, but I took them everywhere else. I think your vet is being excessive and your puppy is missing out on some serious socialization time, but it's up to you what you want to do.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
Is there a lot of parvo in your area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

In the woods I'd worry more about Rabies, since that's the last shot my puppies get.

CDC:
"In 2008, 49 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico tested over 121,000 animals and reported 6,841 cases of rabies in animals and 2 human cases to CDC.... Wild animals accounted for 93% of reported cases of rabies in 2008. Raccoons continued to be the most frequently reported rabid wildlife species (34.9% of all animal cases during 2008), followed by bats (26.4%), skunks (23.2%), foxes (6.6%), and other wild animals, including rodents and lagomorphs (1.9%). Reported cases decreased among all wild animals during 2008 with the exception of an increase among skunks. "
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake2k View Post
My 11 week old gsd went to the vet yesterday for some shots and the vet told me he should not leave my yard for atleast another 6 weeks until he builds up a vaccine to parvo.I've had dogs all my life and from the time they where pups I always walked them in the woods.I was never aware of this before so I suppose I'm lucky none of my boys got sick.I'm just bummed Thunder is too that we can't go run for another 6 weeks.Last night around 8 pm Thunder sat next me barking like he was saying hey it's time to go for a run so we just stayed in the yard.Is being in the woods really dangerous for him right now?I would appreciate any input on this I certainly don't want my pup getting sick.
What? Unless your pup has parvo this makes no sense. If your puppy DOES have parvo, then clearly you don't want to infect other dogs. Otherwise your vet is WRONG and you need to take your common sense out with your puppy for some walking. Read this:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...ialization.pdf

This is the stuff I do in the woods with my pups:

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 07-25-2010 at 10:28 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have always started taking my puppies out and about right at 8 weeks so long as they had been vaccinated.
This is what I have always done without a problem,actually I got Thunder at 7 weeks old and took him camping for a week.

Quote:
Is there a lot of parvo in your area?
I honestly have no idea.

My boy is healthy and happy,believe me I want him out and about.He loves being out the woods and fields.When we are out there both my dogs are off leash and just love to run.Thanks for all the input,I feel better about continuing to take him out for exercise.MaggieRoseLee thanks for the article gives me even more confidence about taking him.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

I've always taken my pups everywhere from a young age. You run a risk of course, as there are risks in life of anything, but as MRL said use common sense. Don't put him down to walk around a really busy petstore, be careful of the apparant health of who you let him socialize with (other dogs/puppies that is), etc.

But walking around the woods, around the neighborhood, etc should be absolutely fine, and I wouldn't hesitate a bit before taking him back out there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Knighted Member

I've always heard with the 3rd set of shots they are 90% covered (fully covered with last set) and you can take them to 'safe' places between the 2nd and 3rd set.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Knighted Member

Get him out socializing some just avoid areas where a lot of dogs go...my vet gave me the go ahead at the third round also.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page