Owning a shepherd in AZ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Owning a shepherd in AZ?

My question is, are there any GSD owners here that live in the hotter parts of the southwest?

I don't know if I posted this in the right section. I own a GSD in KY right now and he does fine with the weather here, but I am re-entering the military and have a choice of duty stations and my wife and I have really close friends in Arizona, but my wife is worried that the heat there would be way too much for Bison, my GSD, to handle. I've told her that plenty of people must own shepherds in AZ that do fine with some shade and water (and ours is inside more than outside anyway).

My question is, are there any GSD owners here that live in the hotter parts of the southwest? And if so, did the dog adapt to the summer weather pretty well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

Good question!

I might be moving to AZ in 3 years with my 2 GSD's (at the time I will have 2) I'd like to know how people take care of their GSD's out there.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM

First off, I'm new to the boards so hello

My husband and I live in Arizona and we just got our German Shepherd a little over a week ago (she's only 7 weeks). We planned on keeping her outdoors as that's how the breeder had all of her dogs, however, as soon as we got her home she was strictly indoors. I just couldn't stand leaving a little 6 week old puppy outdoors in the 115 degree weather! I know there are ways to keep them cool like misting systems, lots of shade, and play pools for them to lay in, but if we can train her to be a good, well behaved indoor dog, why put them through standing the heat?

Summers are brutal, but come September/October I'm sure she would be fine outside until summer comes again. But we will probably end up having her inside most of the time.

If you have your dog inside most of the time anyway, I'm sure it would be fine here as you could let it outside when the weather is cooler and keep it indoors when it's unbearably hot. But, as I said, the people we got our GSD from had her adult dogs and puppies outside with enough shade and water to keep them cool enough. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with ours inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

OMG the baileys, i'm very glad to hear you didnt leave a 7 week old pup outside in 115 degree heat. you would have had a dead puppy be careful with it in that heat!

you mentioned good ideas to keep the pup cool, but one so young should not be out there very long at all. 7 weeks is even a little early for the pup to leave the litter

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Without changing my own topic, Bison was 7 weeks when we got him and I wish we had waited 2 or 3 weeks to get him because his socialization SUCKS now! lol! Personally I would let him play with his litter mates as often as possible if your breeder lives nearby...this will pay off in the future with nipping and socializing.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

But seriously, will a shepherd in AZ will do pretty well? I plan to put up a small canopy for him, and buy one of those kiddy pools for him to play in (he has one now over at my dad's when we visit....he "attacks" the water, hilarious!)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

still plenty of time to socialize him, but it is good to start young...

i think you'll do fine with a GSD in AZ, but remember they get much hotter than we do and will get heat stroke much easier than you. I'd suggest little outdoor time in the heat of the day say 10 am to 4 pm i'd keep him mainly inside. he'll have to be an indoor dog...

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Master Member

I'm currently living in Arizona (in the northern region). In the summer the temperature is still in the 90's to 100's. My dog personally hates the heat, during the afternoon if I want to take him out to go the bathroom I have to leash him as he will not go out willingly.

I do all of the excercising early in the morning and then before I go to bed at night to avoid the heat and humidity.

It works out fine for me and Blitz.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

My parents moved from the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA to Phoenix with an OES. In the summer, they took her out on early morning walks and late at night walks and a super quick potty trip or two in between. It really gets HOT there ... even with low humidity it's like walking in an oven.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
OMG the baileys, i'm very glad to hear you didnt leave a 7 week old pup outside in 115 degree heat. you would have had a dead puppy be careful with it in that heat!

you mentioned good ideas to keep the pup cool, but one so young should not be out there very long at all. 7 weeks is even a little early for the pup to leave the litter
We are very careful with her, especially since she's a white gsd and her pink skin is susceptible to sunburn. We go outside early in the morning before the heat of the day so she can run around and play and again in the evening when its cooling down. Otherwise we are strictly indoors except for quick potty breaks.

I know 7 weeks is early for a puppy to leave the litter but we didn't have much of a choice. We weren't really seeking out a breeder, we got her from a friend who bred her gsd's once and it kind of accidentally happened again my brother ended up getting a puppy from the same litter so we often meet for play dates which she loves! She also loves to play with my mom's maltese. We are working hard socialize her as much as possible now so there won't be any issues later. She's a great puppy so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page