Bitch in heat!!!!!!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Bitch in heat!!!!!!!!!!

Stauba is very swollen, though i haven't seen any blood yet, i believe she may be in her first heat!!! I Purchased a second crate to make sure she is apart from my 7 mo old male...i usually would keep one in, and have one out of the crate and just trade off who goes to work with me or who stays, just being extra cautious because i dont want to be another "Oops breeder" an know they should be completely separated. My huge concern is that she is INCREDIBLY energetic and has a huge prey drive. She needs constant exercise to be behaved. I know i have a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the street with an unaltered male lab that refuses to contain it (it follows us down the rd and then down the hiking trails when we go one walks, refuses to go away no matter what we yell at it, one time for almost a mile). im extra worried about taking stauba out on walks (or even exercising in the yard for that manor!!!) What do you guys do for exercise when your female is in heat? The fence around my yard is very easy to get around (those old farm style fences with the huge gaps that are about 3 1/2 ft tall). I'm going to keep her leashed when out but I dont think i'm strong enough to stop a male dog with motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Knighted Member

Maybe explain to the neighbor your dilemma and hope they are respectful? Other than that invest in some mace and use while walking if necessary
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM

When our girl goes into heat she basically goes into quarantine with the 4 males we have in the house, everyone is crated and she is also put behind a door in her own room. Some males can and will break out of their crates, although none of our boys have given us any problems yet, but I like to have that second barrier to know that if I were to come home to a dog that had busted out- he'd have to go through another door.

As far as exercise, we've always been lucky I guess in where we lived. When we lived in a townhouse community we just had to walk her around and never had any trouble with other dogs. Now we have a backyard with a good fence.

You might look into driving her to another neighborhood for walks and get creative with indoor exercise. Tug doesn't usually take up a lot of space and can wear them out. Mental exercise is good too. Maybe step up some training or teach her some tricks. I also like those toys that keep them busy in the crate...invariably when Anka goes into heat, she spends a lot more time in her crate. She can't usually be trusted loose in the house with the boys in their crates. She flirts and it's horrid to watch her try to tease the poor boys which only makes them frustrated and angry with each other.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

I thought you were talking about my ex wife in the florida summer!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

I was waiting for that kind of response- thanks for not disappointing!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I was waiting for that kind of response- thanks for not disappointing!
It's not even your thread, but I'm glad you weren't disappointed!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

It is only three weeks. Do you really have to leave home to take her for walks? Do you have a fenced yard, could you throw a ball for her instead?

I am not concerned about any male coming over and attacking my girl in front of me. I guess it could happen, but I have never seen this.

However, if you must walk her during this time, it is much better to drive her somewhere and walk her there, otherwise, you will leave a scent trail to your front door and all the eligible bachelor's in the vacinity will hold vigil outside your hard when she gets close to ovulation.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Stosh, are you keeping an eye on the thread with a quirky title in the SchH section, too?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
I am thinking the schutzhund post you are ref. to is mine lol

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
It is only three weeks. Do you really have to leave home to take her for walks? Do you have a fenced yard, could you throw a ball for her instead?

I am not concerned about any male coming over and attacking my girl in front of me. I guess it could happen, but I have never seen this.

However, if you must walk her during this time, it is much better to drive her somewhere and walk her there, otherwise, you will leave a scent trail to your front door and all the eligible bachelor's in the vacinity will hold vigil outside your hard when she gets close to ovulation.
the fence is simple to jump over/go under and we cant alter it because the property is rented . otherwise, i'd love to just stay here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page