18-24 Months 8 30.77%
Older than 24 Months 2 7.69%
Not at All (Companion/Pet) 2 7.69%
Not at All (I breed) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

When do you Spay Poll

I know i am a newer member to this forum and a new GSD owner, but we have all read the many posts of spaying/neutering your pups. There is many conflicting opinions and research on the topic. My goal with this thread is to see the number of people that spay/neuter their pups and what age they do it. If you want to leave an explanation you can, but it is not necessary as this is just a poll.

Note: Your vote is public. People will know what you voted for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

I neutered my male at 15 months. I wanted to wait until he was 2 years old but I got him neutered so we could continue to go to his favorite place, the dog park.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

We have not yet spayed our female and she's 2.5 years old.

I'll still waiting to see about spaying her. She won't be bred, but I'm on the fence as my Vet (one of the top Repro vets in the state) was recently looking into a study that concluded that the longer the females keep their Repro parts- the longer and healthier they live. If we do spay her, it will be after her SchH3 is done.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Master Member

I had Kane neutered at 12 months. He was starting to show more aggression, his focus on me was decreasing and he was more interested where other dogs went potty, etc. That to me were the indicators to get him fixed. Since then, he is AWESOME!! Best decision I made. He is focused on his family. Couldn't care less of other dogs, he now ignores them. Training is alot easier, and he mellowed out. Took him camping this past weekend for the first time, and a fellow camper who was also a cop and belonged to the K-9 unit gave high compliments to my boy how obediant and calm he was. Considering that there were quite a few ankle biters running around loose. . Also, I just want to say, that even though he is neutered, it did not soften him up like some people think. He still is aloof/cautious with strangers, he will check you out, give you the (sniff over) but won't cower, he is a very confident boy. He will look at me and give me the look like "ok mom I checked him out, what do you think?"And if I tell him and show him (tone of voice, body language) he'll be cool with you but, he will still keep an eye on you just in case...always watching.

~ Jess ~

"Kane" 2-12-09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.”
Cesar Milan
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM

I think the OP made another thread about neutering. This one is only about spaying.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

It is best to let them mature. Some vets will tell you the earlier the better (specially the money hungry ones) and some will tell you the opposite. Some females don't even have their first heat till they are around 9-10 months old, some even older. Any time after 18 months is best.

Carolina Johnson

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluemanti View Post
I think the OP made another thread about neutering. This one is only about spaying.
Yes, there is another thread. Thanks!
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

I guessed at 12-18 months. I want her to have one or two heat cycles before being spayed.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

I wasn't sure which selection to choose so I selected the one I would choose if I couldn't find someone to perform a partial spay. That would be either 2 years old, or never depending on the situation. Don't have a female yet....

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Will be watching this thread with interest. Most people are telling us to get Zoey spayed at 6 months, but a few people who's knowledge of dogs I respect alot say we should wait until she is 18-24 months.

To be honest, I'd rather avoid dealing with a heat cycle but if it is best for her we will do it.

Zoey vom Banach 2/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page