yucky ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

yucky ears

ear gunk....it doesnt smell but he is constantly scratching in them and whines so i know it hurts... i have been cleaning them, but it wont go away...my othe GSD doesnt have a problem..what causes this? btw we are seeing the vet tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

food, OR (environment in Onyx's case) we have been battling this since she turned 6 months old. She had to have emergency surgery to repair a hematoma a week ago Saturday...it is nothing to take lightly. I hope you can get it cleared up, be sure to use the ear meds faithfully and don't skip a day or dose.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM

I would consider a grain free food alternative ... Evo, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Wilderness... several options... all are a bit pricey but cheaper than the vets. It may just help.

Lysa

Norse Magic vom Kriegershaus "Rune" (Dec 08)
Kriegershaus Scout vom Haus Rauch (Dec 12)
At the Bridge: Magnus (1998-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Reno had this same problem a couple months ago. He ended up wiu an ear infection because of it. He had an allergy to corn which caused it. The vet will likley give you drops to put in the ears. Just follow the instuctions and as suggested earlier a grain free food may be best.

Dogs:
Akira-7-8 y/o Mutt
Munchkin-N/A y/o Sh-it-zu
Reno-2yr old GSD GOOFBALL
Persephone-16 month old GSD TERROR
Orcan-waiting for me at the bridge
Cats:
Mitzie- 1 y/o spoiled brat
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Master Member

Another vote for food as likely the culprit. The problem with administering antibiotics is that it doesn't address the underlying cause; it may clear up but will come back. Some of the most common allergies are grains and soy. Not sure what you are feeding so tough to tell. A food trial eliminating grains may help, but realize it can take up to 3 or 4 months to resolve the issue. A mix of half apple cider vinegar and half non chlorinated water is a very effective ear wash; clean at least daily while trying to determine the actual cause. There are effective natural and homeopathic remedies that are very safe and inexpensive.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Our puppy went through that in June (at 8 wks old when we first got her). Turns out she had a yeast infection in both ears. Our vet gave us two different types of cleaning solutions to use twice a day until it cleared up (took about a week or so). She's yeast free now and is no longer scratching at her ears. I believe the breeder was feeding her Purina Puppy Chow - we transitioned her right away to grain free - Chicken Soup for large breed puppy. I think she was having a reaction to the grains in the Puppy Chow. We haven't had anymore yeast issues since eliminating grains from her diet.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
The problem with administering antibiotics is that it doesn't address the underlying cause; it may clear up but will come back.
There is more than one problem with administering antibiotics. For the most part I feel that most antibiotics should only be used under the supervision of a vet or Dr.

In some cases antibiotics can be the underlying cause or can make things worse. Using, antibiotics willy-nilly can be risky for the patient in the short-term and in the long-term can contribute worldwide to antibiotic resistance.

If reasonably possible, it’s best to try to identify the pathogen and use antibiotics or other methods that as specifically as possible; that targets the pathogen.

Antibiotics often kill beneficial microbes that help ward off harmful diseases. So sometimes using an antibiotic can actually make things worse. Sometimes using antibiotics may kill the primary infection; but my open up the window to a secondary opportunistic infection.

If you’re not targeting the right pathogen you may make conditions better for opportunistic pathogens to cause secondary infections as well as intensifying the primary infection.

Last edited by DogGone; 08-15-2010 at 11:23 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 AM

i guess by now you might have consulted a vet...what was the prognosis...how did it go?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali B. View Post
we transitioned her right away to grain free - Chicken Soup for large breed puppy. I think she was having a reaction to the grains in the Puppy Chow. We haven't had anymore yeast issues since eliminating grains from her diet.
Chicken Soup is NOT grain free. The formula your dog is on has barley, brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, millet and flaxseed. Though that certainly doesn't make it a bad food, especially if it's working for your dog. Just clearing that up so nobody is under any misconceptions about this food.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Master Member

my dogs ears smell wierd and he yelps when we touch them

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page