hair, shedding, and dandruff - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

hair, shedding, and dandruff

Ok, Milla has been molting for what seems like forever. As she is a machine, I have been out there several times, with blades, slickers, and hand stripping.

Today I went at her again. She has no collar or leash on and was not trying to get away, so I do thing think she was nervous, and I have no reason to believe I was hurting her, but today, she had some serious flakes of dandruff going on.

Is this a food thing?

I used the slicker to remove a dogs' worth of hair, and then decided to wash her with a medicated shampoo.

My dogs are generally groomed professionally twice a year and rarely need anything but basic brushing, nails, and ear cleaning, so it is not like I am constantly bathing them.

I guess my question is, does anyone else have a dog with flakes of dandruff, is it likely I am just being too aggressive with the brushes/blades, or is this likely a food/skin thing -- she is the only one doing this though.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

My GSD does have the same problem when I go at him with a slicker, but never any other time.

He's been on a lot of food for his allergies and gets oatmeal baths often, and does itch occasionally now, but has the dandruff regardless. I think it may just be an aggressive brushing thing tearing up their skin, even though he never seems bothered either and I don't do it that hard. He doesn't shed either, which could have something to do with it... :shrugs:

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks. I must admit that I was going after the hair today. I just cannot seem to make a dent in it. If I see sheds tomorrow, I think I will just strangle her, LOL!

I will use a pin brush next and see if that is different. Today is the first time I saw all this dander, and I was using a slicker.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, it seems to me that the slicker just tears on their skin a little bit- not enough to bother them, but enough to loosen up their skin and cause the dandruf. Frag looks worse after I brush him than before usually!

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

Selzer are you giving oil supplements? My dogs had the heaviest undercoats ever this past winter, and are now finally free of the winter coat, no flaking however. I use undercoat rake and then a slicker followed by a bristle brush. Never give baths unless they get into something, though they love the hose and kiddiepool.
I have a feeling diet plays into the skin condition.
I would up the oils and see if there is a change.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

I would suspect the corn

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have had issues with corn. Arwen would get redness between her toes and ear infections. I think corn plays a part in that, at least the crappier grades of corn. I haven't had any of those problems on the current food. There is always the possibility that the owner of the company is actually telling the truth and uses a higher grade of corn than what is generally seen in dog food. At least, I have noticed that.

But a little extra oil for Milla would probably be a good thing all in all. I think I have some fish oil pills somewhere.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

LisaT are fish oil pills higher in Omega 6 or Omega 3? I do not think, considering the previous conversation that I would want to up the 6 without the 3.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

On a more serious note....

Excessive shedding can be a sign of thyroid issues. Typically, it really is a food issue if it's truly excessive.

As onyx'girl mentioned, dandruff issue is typically a fatty acid issue. Indy has had that dandruff problem since she was pup. Her key was the right food, a multivitamin, and some flaxseed in her diet. Too little or too much flax will cause the dandruff issue for her. She can't tolerate fish oil, so I can't use 0-3's, which is what I would prefer for her. However, being a spayed female, the phytoestrogens in the flax is good for her.

Last edited by LisaT; 07-02-2010 at 05:33 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
LisaT are fish oil pills higher in Omega 6 or Omega 3? I do not think, considering the previous conversation that I would want to up the 6 without the 3.
A lot of fish oil supplements actually are higher in 0-6, though it is animal 0-6 rather than plant based. A better fisher oil will at least have a majority of oil as 0-3. There are several around, I'll go look up the ones that I use....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page