What would you do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

What would you do?

Kirin is halfway through her CGC training class and doing very well but my problem is the grounds we train on have fleas. As it turns out Kirin is allergic to the fleas and is scratching herself raw even after we put the frontline on her weeks ago. Needless to say they are now in our house and we have yet to put the Diataneouse Earth down to get rid of them since each week we go back and get more fleas.

My conflict is - do I pull her from the training or keep going knowing she is going to be an itchy mess for 4 more weeks?

Is there something I can give her to help soothe the irritation or her reaction to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

I would talk to the trainer and ask for a refund. how is she supposed to learn anything if she spends the entire class a scratching mess?

we once got sand fleas. Poor Loki, your hands would be covered with blood just petting him, he was so tore up. They are next to impossible to get rid of.

tea tree oil helped Loki with a lot of his itching and soothed his skin a lot. Maybe it will help Kirin.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Give her a capstar pill immediately after class and 30 minutes before you get home. No fleas will make it from the class grounds that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I purchased some capstar online so hopefully it will help, is there a problem with giving it to her after the training for the next 4 weeks? We live 30mins from the class so I am thinking most of the fleas will die in the car.

My next step is to rid the house of fleas by using the DE (diatoneous earth) since I don't like pestacides....hopefully this will solve the problem.

I noticed she has some raw bloody areas under her arms where she has scratched, any suggestions on how to get this to heal? I was thinking calendula.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

That's what I was saying above... 30 minutes before getting home. I don't like to give capstar more than once a week, but that seems like all you need it for anyway. Good luck.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Knighted Member

capstar is.....?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Elite Member

It's a systemic flea killing pill. Kills all fleas within about 30 minutes. It only lasts the day you gave it, but they are great for using after the dog has been in a flea infested area or in conjunction with a topical like Frontline to jump start it. It's supposedly very safe and definitely works well.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

I would ask for a refund and move to a different class. It's unprofessional for the trainer to not treat the grounds you are on and allow the fleas to spread.

I'm not a fan of Frontline. I really like Advantix. There is also a spray you can get at Tractor Supply in the equine section called Equisect that is supposed to be for dogs also. It seems to work to keep the ticks off of Red but keep in mind, horses don't get fleas for some reason so I don't know how it will work on that. Equisect is an organic spray so you will have to spray her before class. I would try that before giving her a chemical pill. But do a google search on capstar. There doesn't seem to be any side effects.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Elite Member

Capstar is a miracle when you need it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

I totally agree with Jax08 - move elsewhere. The fact that this trainer isn't doing anything about the situation says to me that he isn't interested in hygiene - and it would make me wonder what else is roaming around there.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page