Does any gsd actually like to have a bath? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Does any gsd actually like to have a bath?

I just had quite an experience giving Buddy a bath. The last I gave him a bath, he was much smaller, lol. Apparently, he remembered the bath tub and didn't want to step paw into it. Being super stubborn myself, I wasn't going to take no for an answer. So I picked up that 90 pound boy and plopped him in the tub. But I'm not thinking I'm going to be able to do that ever again.

Once he was in the tub, he did great. He relaxed, loved getting his rub down, he was even calm enough to take some treats. He was really, really good. It was just the initial getting him into the tub that was rough.

Any suggestions on how to make it go easier next time would be great. I'm thinking I should try to bathe him outside next time ~ maybe in a baby pool. That may go better. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Buddy von Gaishauser ~ 4/18/09

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Wink

I believe that any dog that loves the water would love to have a bath that way they get a good rub down and one on one attention from their owner(s). I suggest not giving a bath too often to GS because it could dry out their skin. I suggest using a oatmeal shampoo and maybe once every 6 months or if really needed. Just plain ole brushing really helps.

Jan
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-- Mark Twain
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM

Aschen does what your buddy did....Stauba will be fine until she touches water. She freaks! Scratches, jumps, and cries like we are murdering her. She had an accident in the car once and had poo smeared all over her...we ended up having to use the hose on a low shower setting and it took 3 people, 2 to hold her still. SHE GOES NUTS!!!!!! I have no idea why she is so scared of water...she wont swim either...i feel awful when i have to give a bath!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

My dogs have always loved a bath. Here's why I think I've made it a good experience. I have always installed a European style shower head on a hose in one of our showers. With that, I can provide warm water that isn't as shocking as cold hose water. I start them with that very young, make it fun and especially make the toweling off like a nice brisk massage. Done right, they'll actually look forward to a bath.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
My dogs have always loved a bath. Here's why I think I've made it a good experience. I have always installed a European style shower head on a hose in one of our showers. With that, I can provide warm water that isn't as shocking as cold hose water. I start them with that very young, make it fun and especially make the toweling off like a nice brisk massage. Done right, they'll actually look forward to a bath.
I would love to use the tub...but she flips out the second water touches her and slips everywhere...i'm scared she may get hurt. She also scratches up our faces and arms.

I got her at an older age than my aschen...I wonder if she had a bad water experience?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asche-zu-Staub View Post
I would love to use the tub...but she flips out the second water touches her and slips everywhere...i'm scared she may get hurt. She also scratches up our faces and arms.

I got her at an older age than my aschen...I wonder if she had a bad water experience?
I've never trained an already hydrophobic dog to bathe well, only very young as a part of training. I'd be interested in reading ideas about how to condition a dog like yours to at least tolerate it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
I've never trained an already hydrophobic dog to bathe well, only very young as a part of training. I'd be interested in reading ideas about how to condition a dog like yours to at least tolerate it.
Hmm...I'm going to have to read around! Anyone else on here have input? all answers are much loved!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asche-zu-Staub View Post
Hmm...I'm going to have to read around! Anyone else on here have input? all answers are much loved!
This is just a guess based on having quite a bit of experience with dog training. Try taking your dog into the bath several times with no water at all. Put treats and toys in. No threat of water at all for a while. Be really patient.. may take dozens of times. Once comfortable, maybe just make a trickle of warmish water that you can barely put on him... or maybe just try to see if he'll drink some. If there is no trauma, stop and let that be a victory. Add more warm water as it can be tolerated. Just an idea.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Raven loves the water so it stands to reason, she loves a bath, even lets the grandson help
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 PM

all of mine have always liked baths, but they are definite water rats, so anything water they are game

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page