Nervous about upcoming Spay - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Nervous about upcoming Spay

Mia (13 months) and Bella (9 months) are going in for their spay this WED. I am a firm believer of this and I have always spayed my dogs...I decided to do both at the same time since they play so much together having them both "groggy" at the same time made sense. For some reason I am a bit nervous since it has been over 10 years since I experienced this. Does anyone have any tips for afterwards? Whe will they be back in their regualr routine? They will have the surgery around noon and will be ready for pick up at 5pm or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

I can see your concern. Nothing will change about them. They will be a little off for a few days, but thats because of the anthesia.

Molly was so calm and quiet after her spay, but then she was back to her hyper insane self.lol

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Knighted Member

I've had 3 dogs spayed. All went perfectly and didn't even notice what happened. I always opted for the laser surgery... much cleaner cuts.
The only tip I have is if they send you home with pain meds, don't give it to them. I know it sounds cruel, but to me it's more cruel to cut open their abdomen, drug them so they think nothing is wrong and let them think they can go about their normal activities.
The more pain they feel, the better care they take to not pop their stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
I've had 3 dogs spayed. All went perfectly and didn't even notice what happened. I always opted for the laser surgery... much cleaner cuts.
The only tip I have is if they send you home with pain meds, don't give it to them. I know it sounds cruel, but to me it's more cruel to cut open their abdomen, drug them so they think nothing is wrong and let them think they can go about their normal activities.
I agree, we got that for Molly. Her scar is barely noticable!!lol.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am glad you mentioned pain meds...makes sense that if they don't feel so great they will curb the rowdy play.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Geez I'm glad you aren't my Mom.....a hysterectomy and no pain meds? Have you ever had an operation and told them to hold the pain killers? I think that's horrid. When Anja was spayed some years ago I just crated her if she started to get frisky - she never had a problem with popping stitches, and she was comfortable throughout. She wasn't happy to be in her crate more than usual, but she got stuffed Kongs and other toys to keep her busy, and I would take her for three or four very short walks during the day. There are ways of managing their activity without making them suffer!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment about withholding pain medication after surgery. IMHO it's cruel to do this. I'm a firm believer that animals should have pain medication after surgery - it's wrong to make an animal endure pain because it's easier on the owner - that the owner is either unwilling, or unable, to monitor the dog's activity to ensure he doesn't do any damage while recouperating.

Over the years the Hooligans have had all types of surgeries ... some of them were high drive dogs ... some of the surgeries were extremely invasive such as the amputation of a leg ... and I have never been inclined to withhold pain meds and never had a problem while they were taking their pain meds.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

Last edited by arycrest; 06-15-2010 at 01:26 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja1Blue View Post
Geez I'm glad you aren't my Mom.....a hysterectomy and no pain meds? Have you ever had an operation and told them to hold the pain killers? I think that's horrid. When Anja was spayed some years ago I just crated her if she started to get frisky - she never had a problem with popping stitches, and she was comfortable throughout. She wasn't happy to be in her crate more than usual, but she got stuffed Kongs and other toys to keep her busy, and I would take her for three or four very short walks during the day. There are ways of managing their activity without making them suffer!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
I agree!!

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 AM

Lizzie had the surgery at 6 months. We did the laser and she has no scar that I can find. She stayed overnight and when we picked her up she was just like normal. We did crate her for a couple of days except for calm walks....well, calm for her. They will be fine. And we did give the pain meds. They did not make her groggy at all.

Diane from Georgia
Lizzie's mom
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Knighted Member

Molly was spayed about 6 weeks ago and she was sleepy that night and not all interested in any food but the next morning....back to her usual bouncy self. She also had pain meds and I kept her crated for a few days with just tiny leashed walks in the yard for toilet breaks. She did not wear the cone of shame and never even so much as licked at her stitches. Wishing you all the best for Wednesday and I am sure they will be just fine

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page