She Keeps Putting it Off. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She Keeps Putting it Off.

As some of you may know, my mom's friend went out and bought a puppy on impulse. A little 8 week old lab/GSD mix. He (supposedly) had his shots before leaving the breeders, but with the BYBs, who really knows? He was supposed to have his shots on Friday the 21st. (Last week). He still hasn't had his shots. She doesn't want to take him to the vet to have it done, she wants to just get the 7-in-1 from the pharmacy and have my mom give it to him. She keeps coming up with excuses. The pharmacy was closed, they didn't have anymore, she was sick, American Idol was on, etc.

I'm concerned about the puppy's health. For those of you who DON'T know, she had a little Queensland heeler pup that died the day after she got it of unknown causes. She got this pup a few days after that. (She didn't care what kind of dog it was, she just wanted a puppy).
They take this puppy EVERYWHERE. What are the chances that he'll get parvo or canine distemper or something if he keeps going unvaccinated? And if he does/can, when might he get sick?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to momsgoingaited
Distemper won't be the issue - parvo will be. Poor pup....
Make sure your dodg is vx'd & please, tell her from me, that parvo can stay alive on the ground for a year - pup does not need to contact another dog! Vaccines once a month till at least 4 months old is what is recommended for pups up here.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

The first set of shots if given, may not have been effective if the pups were still covered by the dam's immune system. So, she should really get the dog in for the second set of shots, depending on when the first set were given. Even then she should give the shots a chance to build up the immunity before exposing the pup to other dogs.

Unfortunately, you can tell them and you can offer advice, but people do not always accept advice or listen.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's what I was telling my mom. (I always tell my mom stuff like that).

Mom's pretty much told her that without the shots, he could get extremely sick and possibly die, and she still hasn't gotten his shots. She still takes him everywhere. Her boyfriend's house, all her friend's houses, her work, etc.

Hopefully she gets him his shots before he gets parvo. I know an $11 shot is cheaper than parvo treatment.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page