Frontline vs Comfortis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Frontline vs Comfortis

A little over a year ago I noticed that my Frontline Plus was no longer taking care of the Hooligans fleas. My vet recommended Comfortis which worked very well.

I've noticed that other people had my problems with Frontline while others found it still worked. Recently someone posted something about Frontline which got me to thinking. Could a bad batch of Frontline have gotten into the distribution system. I purchased the Frontline that wasn't working from my vet. But I'd ordered some from Australia before this but never used it because I was using Comfortis (I used the rest of the Frpntline Plus I got at the vet's office last year when I found some ticks).

Fleas are bad this year for some reason considering we had such a bitter cold winter. Anyway, I decided to put Frontline Plus on the Hooligans this month and see what happens (I can always use Comfortis as a back up if it doesn't work). I'm shocked, but so far the Hooligans have pretty much stopped itching. They're still doing some itching but it comes in spurts, like a batch of fleas must have hatched or something.

Has anyone else who is now using Comfortis gone back to Frontline and had it work?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Master Member

I use frontline plus...I have never had it not work...But i do think that eventually the dogs system just needs a break from the same old stuff.

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use for ticks on my GSD that LOVES water. I use Frontline Plus but I think that because of the amount of time he stays in the water, it's not working effectively. I found out about Confortis tablets for Flea control but wondering about the ticks. I'm in Georgia and the ticks seem to be extremely bad this year already. Any help from water loving GSD owners??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:19 PM

I use Sentinel for fleas and Preventic collars for ticks.

When I have had to use a flea adulticide (twice in 3 years - both after visiting my mom's infested house) I've used Comfortis.

I work at a vet's office, and we see a good number of houses where Frontline just stops working - it's like someone hit a lightswitch. We then recommend switching to Comfortis if ticks aren't a concern, or VECTRA 3D if they are.

@nj0728 - The Preventic collars might be a good choice - you can remove the collars when the dogs will be swimming, then put them back on once they're done.

Zookeeper to:
Hope - Female GSD born 5/16/09 w/ PRAA (sx to correct @ 9wks), megaE
Tasha, Wrigley, MeowMeow, Purr Kitty, Xander, Smokey, Sonny, Rosie, Gizmo (2 dogs, 2 cats, a parrot, and 4 horses)
Wife to Brad (4/06), step-mom to Sarah (age 5)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Knighted Member

Ticks are bad here in Alabama, too! I am using k9anvantix and pulling ticks off Jake....What else is suggested by way of a good spray to use right before we go out on him...and do collars really work for ticks? I am seeing ticks on feet and belly.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to EmilyK0429
I use Vectra 3d. I have found one or two ticks on Meega,a but they have been dead. It appears that they bite and immediately die.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Knighted Member

Vectra 3d collars or topical?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Elite Member

Koda gets Springtime Bug Off Garlic granules daily. Since he has started I have seen 1 tick on him and it never latched on. And while I do live in Swampy Florida, I have lived in Georgia before and the bugs in Tally are worse than there. lol. We go on hikes in the woods and in fields and not a one. I am convinced, it does take about 3 weeks to permeate the tissues though so not a quick fix.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm in Florida too, and my vet told me she is seeing more dogs on whom Frontline has stopped being effective. For that reason, she switched her clients to Sentinel from Interceptor.

No one has mentioned Capstar. I gather it's supposed to work like Comfortis. Does anyone have any experience with it?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Capstar is a one time effective dose. It does not last for monthly prevention, you would have to give it daily. I've usually seen Capstar used with dogs that are infested to immediately kill the fleas and then the dogs are admistered a topical like frontline or advantix.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page