Shedding....does it ever stop? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Shedding....does it ever stop?

Miro sheds a ton!!! I could have weaved loads of carpets and sweaters if I had saved all the hair the past 11 weeks (since we adopted him). ;-)

I actually want to make sure this is okay and not a secondary effect him being sick some way. A friend came over the other day and after seeing my floor asked if Miro was "okay". I told her GS's shed a lot.

It has gotten better but it's still very noticeable. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help. :-)

Maria

Maria and Miro (adopted on Feb. 28 2010). Miro is around 6 years old. He was found lost and starving on the streets of Southern Italy. We live in Switzerland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Knighted Member

Yes they shed all the time. Seasonal shedding times varie per dog but those times it is worse. You need to use a slicker brush everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Master Member

They shed...a lot. It gets better, it gets worse. We brush 10 min everyday. We also noticed a difference when we put them on better food.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM

gsd's shed once a year but it last 365 days
Rolisaac likes this.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

I think nutrition has alot to do with how much dogs and GSD's shed. My three are fed raw and I very seldom have fur come out on my hand when I pet them. Other dogs I am around, I could run my hand down their back and have a handful of fur on the rump.
Of course they do shed spring and fall, but diet plays a big role in coat condition-or if you switch the diet, can throw a dog into a coat blow.
Omega oil supplements with vitamin E daily help the skin and coat as well. Raw eggs are full of omegas and extras!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Knighted Member

The day I adopted each of my two, I also adopted fuzzy-wuzzies too!!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

wow, it's gotten better. you have a miracle dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro2010 View Post
Miro sheds a ton!!! I could have weaved loads of carpets and sweaters if I had saved all the hair the past 11 weeks (since we adopted him). ;-)

I actually want to make sure this is okay and not a secondary effect him being sick some way. A friend came over the other day and after seeing my floor asked if Miro was "okay". I told her GS's shed a lot.

>>>It has gotten better but it's still very noticeable. Is this normal?<<<

Thanks for your help. :-)

Maria
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I think nutrition has alot to do with how much dogs and GSD's shed. My three are fed raw and I very seldom have fur come out on my hand when I pet them. Other dogs I am around, I could run my hand down their back and have a handful of fur on the rump.
Of course they do shed spring and fall, but diet plays a big role in coat condition-or if you switch the diet, can throw a dog into a coat blow.
Omega oil supplements with vitamin E daily help the skin and coat as well. Raw eggs are full of omegas and extras!
I agree with the nutrition thing. Frag is 9 months old now, and we got him in November. He started out on purina, then shortly after we switched to RAW for a few months. We then went on to feed solid gold, then natural balance, and we're getting ready to switch him again. He gets fish oil everyday and eggs a couple times a week. He doesn't shed at all. I slicker brush him once a week, but very few hairs end up in the brush, so it's pretty pointless. He can lay all over the bed, furniture, us, etc and doesn't get any hair anywhere, so it's pretty nice.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM

We have a white GSD and he does not shed much. There has been 2 times his shedding got heavy (he is only 1 year and 4 mos) once last summer and just last week. I went and got one of those bamboo care furbusters, the large size. When he was shedding heavy I brushed him for about an hour straight. I thought it would never stop coming off. Must have filled half a trash bag. It really does a good job of taking off the shedding fur, makes him very happy, reduces the shedding in the house to nearly nothing and you don't have to do it very often.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator0218 View Post
gsd's shed once a year but it last 365 days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page