Rescue dog- getting her coat manageable...how?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Rescue dog- getting her coat manageable...how??

Sorry to keep starting new threads, I did do a search for mats and matting and saw that people are of varied opinions on what to do. I've had a double-coated dog before but always groomed daily and therefore never had any serious matting issues- and the dog always enjoyed it because her coat wasn't tangled or painful.

We just adopted a 1 year old rescue GSD. She is seriously in need of a good grooming and possibly a bath but she has some bad mats on her chest, behind her underarms, and on her hindquarters that seem to be so sensitive that she snaps at me whenever I start working on them.
I didn't know if I should take her to a groomer and let them deal with it, or keep on working on it gradually. It seems pretty uncomfortable to her, she'll stop and suddenly bite the matted areas and she is always itching around where they are on her front. I've been using a slicker and metal comb, we got a Furminator but I think her coat needs to be detangled before we could use that safely. It's also getting hot here, and I imagine that having a sweater stuck around your skin would be pretty unpleasant.

Are there any magic tricks to de-matting a shepherd? Also, how do you keep a flat collar from causing tangles around the neck area?

She is going to be GORGEOUS once we get her coat under control, ju
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

I would take her to a groomer. They might end of shaving those areas.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

I would probably take her to a groomer (research first - oy, did I get a winner once and now go to a GREAT one) but before I went I would get a big tooth comb and a bottle of conditioner and just take big glops of conditioner, work it into and on top of the mat, then comb through in small pieces. If it is uncomfortable though, I would stop since she's new to you and you want to be giver of all good things and not the mom yanking the hair out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Lol, that's what I was worried about! I haven't been able to find much about the groomers in my area- at least not by Googling (we're in Albuquerque). I hope they don't need to shave too much, I got her back and belly free of mats and her coat is so beautiful.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

With my himalayan, I cut the top of the mat off and then am able to work out the rest. You might try that, with the conditioner, if you are going to work on them. Once the top of the 'knot' is cut, the rest comes out quite easily.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Is she a long coat? Stock coats don't usually mat...

I would also take her to a groomer. The best would be to wash the dog letting a quality conditioner soak into the mats. Then once the dog is dry, really work a leave in conditioner into them and pick them out carefully. But it also depends on how bad the mats are, they may need to be cut out.

when I adopted my long coat she had mats on her belly and legs, I just cut them out little by little (she wouldn't tolerate me messing with them long.) Now she requires very little brushing to keep the mats from coming back. I use a rolled leather collar and have not had any issues with mats at the collar.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

You can call around different vet offices, ask rescues and shelters, people who do a lot with a lot of different dogs. When I was looking for one, I called the vet offices, asked who could handle an unhappy GSD and they all said the same. Called her, asked how many she groomed at once, she said one, and if I could stay, she said yes, and I've been going there since! Good luck! Welcome and thanks for rescuing.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

I've read where you can work baking soda into the mat and it will work out easier, making a silky texture. Not sure if it's true, but worth trying til you can get to the groomer.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Master Member

ok, you may find it wacky, but olive oil worked on a bit of an issue I had with gum matted in my hair!....soak the knots, may want to let it sit for a little, then try to work it out.....just a thought

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

She isn't a long coat, just hasn't had any kind of care in a long while. She was only in foster care for a week before we got her (was picked up as a "stray" but was clearly abused by an owner and then abandoned), so they did a little work on her coat but not much because she was so fearful. I was worried that she might snap at the groomer...will try corn starch or baking soda + leave in conditioner in the meantime...and patience and lots of treats. I'll definitely check with the GSD rescue we got her from to see if they have recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page