Prescription for Heartgard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Prescription for Heartgard

I order a lot of my regular pet stuff on-line. The once monthly Heartgard chewables could be bought a lot cheaper that way, but you have to have a prescription from your vet. Are most vets willing to give you a prescription so you can buy it from somewhere else rather them? I desperately need to save money where I can, but I hesitate to irritate my vet, since we have always had a really good relationship and I need to keep it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

My vet did give me a script so I could buy online. But now I've been using an online store that does not require prescriptions - Vet Meds for Pets - Popular pet medication brands at discount prices I have checked their stuff and it's the same, been using it for a few years now and my dogs still hw test negative every year.

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

I get a prescription for it as my vet doesn't carry the plain Heartgard, just the Plus. Some vets will charge for the prescription and others won't. Don't hold your breath on getting one if your vet does carry it.

If you do order off the internet, be very sure to order from a mainstream site as there are a lot of unscrupulous sites that will sell you fake meds.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM

I use Ivomec from the feed store. It's a lot cheaper and no perscription necessary.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

personally I have always used Discount Pet Supplies & Medication Pharmacy Care RX (just in case I screwed the link up it's petsupplyexpress.com) They are quick to ship, don't require a RX, and are very cheap. Shipping is a flat rate I believe it got raised to 4.99 per order and their stuff has always worked great. I have used their wormers, heartguard, as well as frontline. It gets to you quickly and they are really good with customer service. One order hadn't gotten to me after 2 weeks and without any hassle they immediately shipped out another order that I got within just a few days. A few weeks later the original box showed up not sure what happened and I emailed them and was told don't worry about it just to keep it for the inconveniance.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 AM

My vet encourages me to order my meds online if I can as it is cheaper. He is great when it comes to expenses. I order it online and he then approves it for the company to ship. It works great.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Are these places safe?

I can say that for HW, if your pet tests positive and you have your vet information that you bought the preventative from them, I believe (double check) the company will pay for HW treatment.

I will buy from places like KV Vet or Dr. Foster/Smith for Rx meds if they are cheaper. If it is a lot cheaper than the vet office, they are cool with it, if it's just a bit cheaper, I don't bother. I also get some Rx meds from the pharmacy if they are on those $4 med lists. HW I am really careful with.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

I've had excellent luck with Pets Megastore for various dog products. Before the supplier prohibited them exporting Interceptor to the US, I always bought my HW meds from them with excellent results. Now my vet matches the lowest US prices I can find (she also writes scripts to help me save money for other meds).

Anyway, their Heartgard for large breeds is US$36.82 for 6 months and their Heartgard Plus for large breeds is US$63.76 for 12 months and US$32.33 for 6 months.

Shipping is approximately US$5.00 and free for orders over approximately US$100.
Heartgard regular chews : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
for the prevention of heartworm and intestinal worms. : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
Pets Megastore : Discount Pet Vet Supplies discount medical supplies for pets

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
I use Ivomec from the feed store. It's a lot cheaper and no perscription necessary.
Me too. One vial lasts my 2 dogs and my moms 1 dog until it expires, which is usually 3 yrs, for around $40. That is a huge savings!

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Knighted Member

Doctors Foster & Smith www.drsfostersmith.com ships meds free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page