Constant Itching..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Constant Itching.....

Hello fellow GSD lovers. I am so happy to have found this forum and share my love of these wonderful animals with you all.

I have 2 GSD's, male + female, that are 2 years old. We live in Sydney, Australia, and ever since the end of Febuary this year they are constantly stratching and itching. I have tried several things to battle this. I have taken them to professional groomers, (they are scratching again a few hours later), bathed them myself, brush and groom them a few times a day each to get rid of excess hair. I have tried all types of different shampoos, ranging from aloe vera to olive oil extract, and everything in between.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help my babies? Its so heartbreaking watching them itch and not being able to do anything to help them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Crowned Member

Might be allergies to something like pollen or dust. I don't know how the weather is in Australia, but here in connecticut, there's pollen everywhere and it's causing lucy to scratch and itch as much as it causes me to sneeze and my eyes to itch. We both get hit hard this time of year.

Have you tried benedryl? Benedryl is great for seasonal allergies.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Knighted Member

Welcome from the Sunshine Coast Queensland! I'm not sure about the weather in Sydney but here after the wet season I have had mossies biting my Molly. Is it possible it is from that? I can see them buzzing around her so now have musca-ban spray from the vet. Or have you changed their diet around that time?

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM

as bianca said..have you changed their diet recently? or gave them anything you dont normally give them? maybe they got into something?....they could be allergic to something in the food.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Knighted Member

Sudden and continued itchiness in more than one dog- my first thought was mites or another parasite.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM

kirin is doing a lot of itching too since we moved more towards the coast, nothing has changed in her diet. is there anything else that we can give more on the homeopathy side as opposed to benedryl to help sooth the itching?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your quick repsones.
I haven't changed their diet, and I have had it confirmed by the vet that they both have sensitive skin and that it is most likely allergies. I have been told that I can give them an anti-immflammantry tablets but I don't like the idea of my dogs popping pills every day. Not only that Im am not sure of the dosage for dogs as opposed to humans.
I just want to find a natural way to stop them from being uncomfortable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

I bought a good air purifier and placed it in the room my dogs hang out in. It helped a little. It is frustrating for sure. Do you have humidity in the house and give salmon oil and vitamin E? Raw eggs daily will help the skin and coat, too.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page