getting spayed on Friday have a few Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Unhappy getting spayed on Friday have a few Questions

Good morning

My little Molly has a appointment this Friday to get spayed. My wife is very worried about her going under the knife. She is worried that Molly s personality will change is this true?

Molly is 5mths old do you think she is to young?

I read about different procedures for spaying( laser) which is the safest and less painful for a dog?

What will be our responsibilities when she returns home we found very few details on how to care for her until she is healed?

We have obedience every Monday will she be in shape to go?

Will she have to stay indoors for a long period time after the surgery?

Will we need to confine her to a small area of the house to keep her from running or playing?

What are signs we should watch for in case of infection?

Thank you for your time and input it is very much appreciated
Marc and Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Crowned Member

Talk with your vet on the procedure, and aftercare. They should send home a page or two of instructions. Watch the incision site for inflammation.
Most females have a smooth recovery, and keeping her lowkey for a couple days afterwards except for potty breaks and some leashed walks will help so she isn't jumping or stretching her abdomen.

As far as her age goes, many opinions on this, so I won't share mine...you do what you think is best after researching the pro's and con's of early spay.

I would think you can take her to obedience class if it is a few days after the spay, as long as no complications happen.
Her personality shouldn't change, hopefully she'll get tender loving care while at the vet.
After Onyx was spayed @ 6 mos she became a bit reactive when going to the vet and was reactive to females(techs and vet all female).
Not sure what happened to her, could have been just her waking from sedation and freaking out in a cold cage in a strange,sterile environment-so was imprinted(she has not got steady nerves) A dog with solid nerves should recover from this fine.
Your pups hormones may play into personality afterwards, but most don't show any difference after being spayed. When they go into heat, some tend to have a behavior change until they come out of it, so you just have to manage the dog either way!!
I wish her a smooth recovery and you and your wife to not worry while she is having this done

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-08-2010 at 08:19 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Her personality will not change.
My Ava was 5 1/2 months...my vet went by her weight being sufficient.
We went with Laser as they claim faster recover and less pain.
Your vet will give you instructions...but basically no vigorous running, jumping and make sure she doesn't chew at site. Depending on your dog's personality...you may need to use a "cone" or t-shirt. Our Ava never bothered the area.
Personally...I would not take her to obedience on Monday to give her time to recoup...she should be fine for the following week.
No...she doesn't have to stay indoors...but again...right after surgery you want to make sure she isn't running and jumping, etc...so you may have to leash walk.
All dog's personalities are different...we did not have to confine...as Ava was very subdued after her surgery and just wanted to sleep and wasn't very active afterward. But I've also seen dogs (that I've pulled from the shelter) that have literally dragged me out the door and jumped in my truck. So...it will depend on your dog whether you should crate her or not i.e. if she is too wild for her own good.
Anything that concerns you...i.e. discharge, severe swelling, redness....call your vet.
Don't worry...your vet will give you full instructions. Good luck

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Crowned Member

I will edit to add...regarding the OB class...I guess it would depend on what it entailed and how your pup is feeling. If it is low key and your pup is feeling fine...go. It's something you really just have to guage regarding your individual circumstances Again..I've had dogs drag me out of the shelter right after surgery and you'd never know they had anything done...and then there are those like my Ava that take longer.

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you Onyx'girl and Myamom for the reply. Very helpful!!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM

By no means am I an expert, but I can share why we've decided to wait until Harper's gone through heat to spay her. She has a vulva that was slow to drop, and consequently has had UTI's. Because of that, the vet recommended that we wait to prevent a life-long problem with reoccurring UTI's. By no means does that mean all dogs need to wait, but in our circumstance, we were told she is too young (5.5 months now).

Harper 10/12/2009
Monster (Siamese Cat, Nemesis) 11/20/2002
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Knighted Member

No, it won't change her personality. My vet recommended spaying at 5 months, so that's what I did also. I went with the laser spay and the healing time was minimal. She spent the night at the vet and when I picked her up in the morning she was ready to go as if nothing happened.

You will want to limit her activity though so that she can heal properly. If she has a tendency to play rough, you could confine her to a small area, but otherwise, I wouldn't. I think she should be fine to go to obedience class on Monday as long as it doesn't involve running or jumping or off leash play. In terms of caring for her after surgery, just make sure she doesn't chew/lick the incision area and watch for inflammation & swelling. Your vet will probably have you come back in to make sure things are healing properly.

Hope everything goes well!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question

Harper girl thank you

I just contacted my breeder and she asked me to please wait until she is 7mths. I just called my vet and am waiting for his response. My vet is the one who suggested to have her spayed so young. At this point I am very confused on what to do? I will update when the vet calls.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
Harper girl thank you

I just contacted my breeder and she asked me to please wait until she is 7mths. I just called my vet and am waiting for his response. My vet is the one who suggested to have her spayed so young. At this point I am very confused on what to do? I will update when the vet calls.
IMO vets who recommend early spay/neuter usually do so because they are trying to prevent an accidental litter. Your breeder on the other hand, is probably thinking more in terms of your puppy's growth and development. Personally, if I had a do-over, I would have waited to spay Mayzie until 1-2 years old so that she could have her hormones as she finished growing. BUT, I would only recommend doing this if you are 100% certain that you can prevent an 'oops' litter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

MayzieGsd thank you for your reply I am still waiting for my vet to call back. I think I am going to cancel the appointment for now. I just want the absolute best for her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page