need some answers about swimming and bathing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

need some answers about swimming and bathing

Ok so malta is a very hot tempreture country and in summer we go to the sea very often , and i live near the sea so it will be probably every day or 4-5times a week. do i need to was my dog with shampoo/conditioner every time he swims or a was under tap water is enough to remove the sea water/salt ? cause it would be too much expensive and time consuming to give him a bath everytime he goes to the sea

also cause i use an anti-flea cream like advantix do i need to apply this everytime he swims? :S cause it is very expensive here or should i just check for fleas regulary and if i find something i apply advantix?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We don't swim our dogs in salt water more than once a week, and I don't even bother to rinse them off afterwards. I think if they're going to swim in the sea that often I'd rinse them off afterwards. You definitely don't need to actually wash them with shampoo that often though. Mine get baths every month or two, which is more frequently than many people do it. I think most if not all flea control meds are fine with plain water, but probably not shampoo. I'm sure the website of whatever brand you plan to use will have the answers to your questions.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Wait at least 2 days after applying advantix for a bath or swim. Do NOT apply it more than recommended by the manufacturer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Master Member

When my dogs were swimming in the sea frequently, I also made sure they swam in fresh water just as frequently, or rinsed them with the garden hose. I am fortunate that they love swimming and also love going after the water from the hose, so to them it's all fun and games. When it's hot, I put out a 50 gallon horse feeding bucket and they go use it as a bathtub every 2 hours or so. So the answer is no, I didn't give them a bath with shampoo, just rinsed them with tap water from the hose or they rinsed themselves by using their tub often. In fact, they spent a couple of years without a single bath with soap or shampoo, but they were in the water so often, they never smelled bad.
Just make sure they have a good diet with fish or salmon oil supplement and they can be in the water almost like fish without their hair or skin going dry as long as they are healthy. Swimming pool water is the worst.

Last edited by Ocean; 04-03-2010 at 02:58 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Bath Salts

*deleted by moderator*

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 01-12-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page