vaccinations question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

vaccinations question

It is time for Jackson's 1st annual checkup with the vet. I am wondering what people's feelings are on which vaccinations are truly necessary? When we got Jackson his breeder warned against over-vaccinating. Obviously, we have to get rabies & I do get the kennel cough booster for when we have to board them. I also treat for heartworm and use the flea/tick preventative. Is there anything else I should be doing? His reminder card said he was due for Rabies, Cough guard and K9 DAPP 1st 3 yr vaccination. Not sure what that one is. What about leptospirosis, lyme booster and something called DA2CPL? In the past I have always gotten whatever the vet said I should get but the breeder's comment has me thinking twice about that.

Jen
Mom to:
Forrest, Golden Retriever, born 2/02
Jackson, GSD, born 10/22/08
Sundae, cat, born 4/25/95
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

There are a wide variety of opinions on vaccinations these days. Personally I am not quite ready to go the route of NO vaccines, so this is what I do.

Puppy shots - all of them.

I do all the boosters at 1 yr, I do not do lyme, and the "kennel cough" vaccine is all but useless. They get a 3 yr rabies.

At this point, they get the normal annual vaccines every 3 yrs. When only the 1 yr rabies was available, it was still every 3 yrs.

I do treat for fleas/ticks, and they are on monthly HW preventative spring through fall. Until someone can explain to me how a mosquito transmitted disease is transmitted in the middle of winter when there are no mosquitos in central Indiana in the winter, I will continue to successfully prevent HW's by treating only spring through fall.

My dogs have medium to high exposure to various ailments, as I do a lot of fostering and tend to take in some pretty sick dogs from large urban shelters rather than fostering for breed specific rescues who are vetting prior to placement in a foster home. When they come home with me from places like animal care and control, they come with a host of issues ranging from being kenneled in or immediately next to parvo puppies as well as full blown kennel cough, URI's, all sorts of intestinal worms, etc. Thus not being quite ready to go vaccine free given the high exposure.

Last edited by Rerun; 03-26-2010 at 10:04 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Master Member

I use a minimal vaccine sched. and tend to follow Dr. Jean Dodds.....Dexter will be titer tested for rabies when the time comes.

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

I do not use flea or tick meds. and have not had a reason to yet....I also do not use conventional heart worm.....lyme and lepto not endemic here, so it really depends on if it is in your area....not sure what that other one is!

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

The only vaccines that MIGHT need to be boostered at a year are Parvo and Distemper.

Personally, I would titer for those and only revax if necessary - and NOT with the alphabet soup vax. I would do single vaccines.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencarr View Post
When we got Jackson his breeder warned against over-vaccinating.
Great advice

Quote:
Obviously, we have to get rabies & I do get the kennel cough booster for when we have to board them.
It looks like your vet used a 1 year vaccine at the age of a year. That wasn't necessary, a vax with a 3 yr label should have been used.

Quote:
His reminder card said he was due for Rabies, Cough guard and K9 DAPP 1st 3 yr vaccination.
The only one he needs is the Rabies. He really doesn't need that, the old one is still protective, but it's the law. The others are unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Quote:
What about leptospirosis, lyme booster and something called DA2CPL?
A lot of people don't get lepto, it can cause a lot of reactions and not be protective. It's just not a good vaccine. The same is true of lyme, which can cause all sorts of problems. the CA2CPL is a vaccine which contains just about everything.

Quote:
In the past I have always gotten whatever the vet said I should get but the breeder's comment has me thinking twice about that.
I'm glad to hear that you are questioning. Here are some links that might make for interesting reading: Vaccination - GermanShepherdHome.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
The only vaccines that MIGHT need to be boostered at a year are Parvo and Distemper.

Personally, I would titer for those and only revax if necessary - and NOT with the alphabet soup vax. I would do single vaccines.
I always understood that the Parvo and Distemper had to be boostered at the one yr age to ensure the longer term immunity and then titered thereafter, but it sounds like that may not be the case.....just wondering if you have any links I can add so I can keep myself up to date!!!! thx

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
I always understood that the Parvo and Distemper had to be boostered at the one yr age to ensure the longer term immunity and then titered thereafter, but it sounds like that may not be the case.....just wondering if you have any links I can add so I can keep myself up to date!!!! thx
No, that's not the case. If the first vaccine "took", then they don't need the one year booster. However, vaccines work better in immune systems that have matured, so if that vaccine was given too early, some argue that the year booster is needed.

There are all sorts of links at the link I put in the post just above yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

i didn't think there was a titer to test the Rabies?? i was under the impression they could only titer for the others but none for Rabies????

url
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

it depends on the law in your area. I believe that AR now allows the 3 year vaccine. Actually, I've been told by different vet that it's the exact same vaccine, just what the law requires.

I'm not sure if titers are legally acceptable for rabies? here, you can buy vaccine yourself for rabies, but if your dog were to bite someone, legally, they are un-vaccinated. They would be confiscated/quarantined/you fined for not having the rabies vaccine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

i don't know if rabies titers are excepted either or if there are even titers to measure rabies anitbodies.....but in the case of having a dog with health issues and unable to safely have vaccinations they probably just write waivers and i know some towns take them and some don't.........

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page