Lyme vaccine - Yay or Nay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Lyme vaccine - Yay or Nay?

Not sure which way to go with this.

Ticks were never a big concern at our old place, but since moving here it seems that they're going to be an issue. (I opened the living room blinds this morning to see a doe and two young bucks right outside the windows.)

I've always tried to stay away from the Advantix and other pesticides, but I do plan to use them as long as we're living here.
I didn't know there was a lyme vaccine, but now that it's something to consider, has anyone had experience with it? Is it safe?

I have an appointment with our vet on the 7th, to talk to her about it, but I wanted to get some information/opinions about it before we go.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Nay. Toward the bottom: Baker Institute : Animal Health : Lyme Disease

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
The Italian One

I agree with Jean.
We live in an area where there are lots of trees and deer therefore we have ticks.
We use a repellant (like Advantix but not the same one) and therefore have no need for the lyme vaccine. I think it's overkill to do both. JMO.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hm. Yeah, according to that article it sounds like the possible benefits are minimal at best and wouldn't outweigh the risks.

The Advantix alone should be enough then?

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM

My dogs have received the Lyme disease vaccine so I don't use any external repellants which as Vinnie says is probably overkill. I haven't had any problems with my dogs reacting to the vaccination and I've found ticks on both of them.

I know there is a growing body of opinions and evidence going against a lot of the vaccinations that we're giving to our dogs but I know someone whose dog did contract Lyme disease and he became a shadow of himself from that point forward until he died so I don't take the threat lightly.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensterNY View Post
My dogs have received the Lyme disease vaccine so I don't use any external repellants which as Vinnie says is probably overkill. I haven't had any problems with my dogs reacting to the vaccination and I've found ticks on both of them.

I know there is a growing body of opinions and evidence going against a lot of the vaccinations that we're giving to our dogs but I know someone whose dog did contract Lyme disease and he became a shadow of himself from that point forward until he died so I don't take the threat lightly.
See, that's the kind of thing that scares me. I'm one who isn't a big fan of unecessary vaccines, but the thought of them contracting Lyme and knowing that I could have done something that might have prevented it..? Ugh.

Fortunately our vet isn't one who's 'vaccine happy', so she wouldn't recommend it unless she trusts it. And she lives in the area, too, so maybe she'll have a better idea of what the actual risk of contraction is.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
The Italian One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnersMom View Post
See, that's the kind of thing that scares me. I'm one who isn't a big fan of unecessary vaccines, but the thought of them contracting Lyme and knowing that I could have done something that might have prevented it..? Ugh.
Did you read the article Jean posted?

Some quotes from the article; ( http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.ed...ge.php?id=1101 )

Quote:
How can the disease be prevented?
There are two approaches to preventing infection in dogs. One is to limit tick engorgement on dogs by controlling the tick population, using tick repellents, and/or grooming daily. The other is vaccination.
Quote:
However, the vaccine does not protect against actual infection.
Interesting but they kind of make it sound like the vaccine isn't going to do much.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

Last edited by Vinnie; 03-17-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: eta link to article
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

BIG NO for me.

Carolina Johnson

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Did you read the article Jean posted?

Some quotes from the article; ( Baker Institute : Animal Health : Lyme Disease )

Interesting but they kind of make it sound like the vaccine isn't going to do much.
Yes, I read it. That's why I said 'might have done something to prevent it.'
Sorry I'm still debating whether or not to go with the vaccine. I'm not going to read one article and automatically and immediately decide against it. I'm trying to gather as much information and as many opinions as I can and then I'll decide.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM

I think it's personal preference and what your comfortable doing. When the vac first came out, many moons ago) I always vac'd my two, (now deceased dogs) they never contracted Lyme, nor any other tbd's and never had any reaction to the vac.

When I got my aussie who is an MDR1 dog (another long story), I decided to be much more careful about what I was doing to my dogs. The next two GSD's, had also by this time, gotten about 4 years of lyme vac's..I stopped, all of my dogs have never contracted Lyme, (and I live in Lyme ct) however, they ALL have contracted anaplasmosis (another tick disease of which there is no vac)...

My one male who passed away a year ago, always tested high for it, and we believe it led to his death. And on the 'flip' side, I know of quite a few who have NOT gotten the vac and unfortunately their dogs showed no clinical signs until they went straight into kidney failure, which by then was to late to save.

So, while it 'may' have it's use, it also may not. My vet has always told me, that they see more dogs WITH Lyme, that have NOT gotten the vac, vs dogs with Lyme, that DID have the vac.

But in the end, Lyme is nothing compared to the other Tick Borne Diseases of which there is no vac for..

Hope I haven't confused you..something to ponder anyhow
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page