Getting ready to travel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Getting ready to travel

We are getting ready to go on our first trip since we got our shepherd last Spring. Will be away about 3 weeks. He has never been away from us. We have a getaway place at the lake and he goes with us every time and loves it. I am not sure how it would go if he was away from us for that long. We are torn on whether to bring him with us or put him up in a boarding place. Taking him with us will be a major pain! We have a 2 and 4yo, so our hands are full already. We will be flying about 1400 miles and staying mostly with family. There is no family here with enough room to keep him. The only option I see is bringing him, which will also more than likely be more cost effective than boarding him.... I think I just answered my own question. I think the logical thing to do is bring him, but man! It is going to be a Pain in the As*!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Three weeks is certainly a long time. Is he really social with other dogs? If so, I would look into a boarding kennel that operates more like a "daycare" and has playgroups. Some around here do not kennel individually at all, except for an hour or two a day as a rest period.

I have never left mine for three weeks, but when we leave we have family take care of them in our house. Either my brother will come over and stay with them full time, or we arrange enough visits throughout the day that they get potty and play breaks.

There are also in-home petsitters that will come take care of them, but three weeks alone (if you aren't paying for overnights) would be a rather long time.

Have you asked at your vet clinic, etc. if any of the single techs or receptionists may be interested in staying with your pup for the time period?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Did you get him from a rescue?

BrightStar has a pretty wide group of great doggie people. One of the fellow foster parents watches Elsa when we are gone. She is in heaven there with all her fellow BS brothers and sisters. She jumps on the door and is upset when we first leave, then forgets about us...but is very happy when we come back to get her.

We haven't done 3 weeks, but have done 13 days. It works out nicely for us, but it depends on if you know anyone that might be able to do something like this.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I thought all of the boarding places just stuck them in a cage for most of the day and maybe walked them for a little bit. I will look into it further, but I think we have decided to take him with us. We're afraid of damaging him mentally leaving him too long.
I have never left a dog at all. Have not owned one for many years. We have a couple cats, but they are easy when we go out of town. I just have my dad come by every couple days to check on them, feed them and change the litter.
No, he wasn't a recue. We bought him last spring from a farm family as a pup. He goes nuts if we just leave the house for a few hours. He has never been alone before besides that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page