Vet Records - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Vet Records

I am in the middle of trying to switch vets. I have gone to one clinic for the life of my dog (11 years) but the new vet leaves a lot to be desired so I am changing to another practice. My question is, who owns the vet records? Can I just walk in and get them, or copies, or do they usually charge a ton? This one vet has ALL my dog's medical including heart treatments, thyroid tests, etc and I do not want to lose that information when I switch. Are vets required to send their records to a new vet?

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

I went to my old vet for 30 yrs. When I switched out, I called and asked for the records, they gave me copies of basically all the bills of all my pets over the years, but the records they have on file, are theirs.
So any comments made, etc belong to the clinic as far as I know. I'd love to have the originals... but to protect themselves, forget that. My practice was questionable to say the least in diagnosis more than once.
I would think any x-rays taken should belong to the client,as they paid for them. I took digitals of the x-rays at the time they were taken, luckily as the vet wouldn't hand over the original.
I keep diligent records anyway, all my pets have their own file, I save everything, so what the office staff gave me wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smerry
The only vets that have ever actually given my 'records' per say were the Military ones, the rest would just give me the 'reciepts' ... Some would, however, fax copies of the actual records to the new vet. They just wouldnt give them to me. I dont remember why ....

Sarah
Cora v.d. Schodin, IPO 1
Brisko v. Yukonhausbrg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page