Shampoo for White GSD Pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Blitz1203
Shampoo for White GSD Pup

So, I'm sure anyone else who has a white GSD has noticed they can discolor easily. My pup goes outside and sits now and then which make his legs yellow/brown. I've heard of whitening shampoos and so on, but I figured I'd ask here. Anyone using something they'd recommend? Is it puppy safe?

He has such beautiful white fur and people don't realize the rest is just from playing outside heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

I use a human whitening shampoo on my Crested's white patches. The shampoo itself is purple so you have to be careful and DILUTE it!

There are whitening shampoos for dogs, cats and horses! Just Google Whitening Shampoo.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I know they exist, but would rather use something someone else can recommend. Some products don't just give you results, but also bad side effects. I'd rather avoid that heh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Master Member

Double K brand Alpha White formula is very nice, but you'd need to order it online as it won't be found in stores. It's not expensive, but it's generally advertised for grooming professionals.

I've worked for years at a dog daycare that has a grooming center and we've tried all kinds of shampoos. I've bought the version for black dogs and it worked nicely, and a friend with a white GSD/malamute ordered the one for white dogs. She liked it a lot and both have a scent that makes Herbal Essences pale in comparison!

ETA: In the same catalogs/sites that you'll find Double K, you can usually find conditioning sprays that help block UV (from bleaching dark dogs), block dirt, urine, static, etc. Perhaps using one of those will help protect the coat from staining.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

Last edited by pinkanml; 02-13-2010 at 11:53 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie
I know some conformation people use a brand called Isle of Dogs and they do have shampoos for black, white and copper coloured dogs. Chris Christensen also sells a shampoo called White on White for white dogs and have a product called Ice on Ice which is used for repelling stains, urine, rain, mats and tangles.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkanml View Post
Double K brand Alpha White formula is very nice, but you'd need to order it online as it won't be found in stores. It's not expensive, but it's generally advertised for grooming professionals.

I've worked for years at a dog daycare that has a grooming center and we've tried all kinds of shampoos. I've bought the version for black dogs and it worked nicely, and a friend with a white GSD/malamute ordered the one for white dogs. She liked it a lot and both have a scent that makes Herbal Essences pale in comparison!

ETA: In the same catalogs/sites that you'll find Double K, you can usually find conditioning sprays that help block UV (from bleaching dark dogs), block dirt, urine, static, etc. Perhaps using one of those will help protect the coat from staining.

I went to the Double K site and they have 2 shampoos for whitening.. you mentioned the one, but now I'm curious which one is better O_O

Groomers Edge™ Alpha White™ Pet Shampoo
Groomers Edge™ Midnight White™ Hypoallergenic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintallie View Post
I know some conformation people use a brand called Isle of Dogs and they do have shampoos for black, white and copper coloured dogs. Chris Christensen also sells a shampoo called White on White for white dogs and have a product called Ice on Ice which is used for repelling stains, urine, rain, mats and tangles.
Isle of Dogs - No. 16 White Coat Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo 250ml

The Isle of Dogs shampoo seems interesting, but they don't say much about it at all. No ingredients etc.. so hmm

I liked all the information the Chris Christensen's site provided and the Ice on Ice is definitely looking appealing at this point, but the white on white focuses so much on how it whitens dog coats.. is it a good shampoo though? I want something that cleans my pup.. doesn't hurt him and keeps his coat all white and healthy..

I appreciate the info so far.. is anyone able to respond to my concerns?

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie
I found a review on Amazon for Isle of Dogs' White Coat shampoo: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Isle of Dogs Coature No.16 White Coat Evening Primrose Oil Dog Shampoo 8.4 oz.

I found the ingredients on the Bath and Bodyworks website since t hey started selling Isle of Dogs and it includes more reviews:

Deionized Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Acrylates Copolymer, PEG-3 Distearate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Benzophenone-4, Blue #1, Red #33.

Maldives Villa No. 16 White Coat Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo - Isle Of Dogs - Bath & Body Works
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM

There is the brand Perfect Coat white pearl shampoo which is for white coat dogs you can buy it from petsmart and petco. I only know from the product info that it contanins aloe vera but from the reviews 7 out of 1 like it a lot for there dogs.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I heard aloe vera was poisonous to dogs.. I'm assuming this use of it isn't a risk?

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Hi, I have used a shampoo called Super White coat brightener for many years for my light colored and white dogs and it works wonderful. It is made by Bio-Groom, is tearless, has a coconut oil base and a neutral ph. You can go to biogroom.com to check it out but biogroom has been around for more than 20 years I believe and have many types to choose from. I will be getting a new white baby in 2 weeks and this is what I will use on him also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page