Nail cracked and split - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Nail cracked and split

Storm cracked and split his dewclaw. He has very thick and big nails. He goes to the groomer regularly and gets them cut and his paws trimmed. Its not bothering him, it doesn't hurt him as I have checked, however he licks it. Is it ok to let him lick it? I had been putting some vet wrap around it but now I am wondering if I should just let him take care of it.
My other shepherd has very bad nails which sometimes crack totally and she actually takes them off herself. No blood or anything she just takes care of it herself. They do this even though we cut them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybadone View Post
Its not bothering him, it doesn't hurt him as I have checked, however he licks it. Is it ok to let him lick it?
It sounds like it is bothering him actually.

Hard to tell whether you should bring him in or not, depends on how bad it is. They can be extremely painful, and some of them have to be trimmed under anesthesia once they are cracked that bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
What food do you feed? Since you mentioned your other dog having bad nails as well, it can be a sign that the nutrition isn't right.

I agree with Lisa, if he is licking it then its probably bothering him. Can you trim down the cracked part at all? Usually when a nail splits it needs to be cut at the end of the split to prevent it from going further. Depending on how far the split is, thats why the dog might need anesthesia for it to be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Well my older dog has had bad nails since we moved to Sweden from the US, I think its a climate thing actually.
Storm isnt bothering it now. The person that does my nail trimming can take it off if needed. He had this happen last summer and we trimmed it and let it grow out. I checked it today and its not all the way down to the end. I am going to take him to the nail place on monday and let her cut it down more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page