So the groomer shaved him...... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

So the groomer shaved him......

I took Ranger to a groomer...the one at the vet's office we use. Asked her to clean him up where he had matts and give him a good brushing, and trim up his legs and belly fluff for easier cleaning. Well....she said the matts were too much on his hips to comb out, and look weird just shaving his hips....so she shaved him down! At first I was mad, but he seems fine and now his hair can grow out and I can start over on preventing matts. She didnt shave him to the skin or anything....he's still got a good 2-3in all over except for on the hips where she had to get closer. She said to just keep in the house more so he doesnt get cold, which is fine.

My question is, how long will it take to grow his hair back?

By the way....we arent using this groomer again! I dont think an all over shave was neccessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

Re: So the groomer shaved him......

If a dog came into me (if I was a groomer,) and the owner said "clean him up where he had matts...trim up his legs and belly" and the dog had matted parts, etc.......yes.....I, too, would shave him. I guess it depends on how bad his coat/matted parts truly were in his coat? Can't see where the groomer would be to blame for shaving him.

I don't know what type of coat your dog has to begin with (longcoat, etc.,) nor the extent of his shaving...so I don't really know how "long" it will take for his hair to grow back. Pictures, perhaps?

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I dont blame the groomer for doing it, it was just a shock to see him when I picked him up. She did not call to tell me that was what she thought would be best for him. Its not a big deal. He's a family pet so I dont care how he looks really.

He is a long coat. My camera is broke, so I have no pictures right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

Be sure to get a comb as shown on the other post and comb him out daily with that.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

You handled that better than I would have. I'd have been (really really mad). I think that before a groomer shaves a dog that is not normally shaved, they should have called the owner. The groomer should have given you the option of paying more and having her spend more time getting the mats out.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

If he was badly matted, shaving is the best option, much better for the pet than to stand on a grooming table and being brushed for hours, trying to de-matt a dog is painful for the dog. I would not be mad at the groomer ( I used to work in a grooming shop for 6 years, I know how some owners dont understand how badly matted their dogs are).

Keep him in better shape, brush him regularly (at least once a week) and he wont get matted again.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Groomer Shaved The Shepherd

Absolutely ther groomer is to blame. If you are a professional, you should know which breeds shoud and SHOULD NOT be shaved. It happened to my Sheperd as well, I asked for him to be cleaned up. Had a bad feeling, so i turned around and returned to see him shaved past his shoulder blades. I stopped her and was furious, if it were a man i would of knocked him out. The groomer should have at the very least called to verify it was ok to shave the dog.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry but having spent most of my adult life knowing many groomers personally, 99% of owners have no clue how badly matted their dog is. They think the groomer can work a miracle in two hours on a dog that took months to get all matted up.

Sounds like the goomer did the right thing. Don't blame her for your dog being shaved, blame yourself for letting the dog get matted in the first place.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 AM

This thread is 2 years old.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

ugh sorry, I didn't even look at the OP's post date. Just saw the one above me that for some reason felt the need to reply to a two year old thread and it came up in new posts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page