Vaccination Question (non-GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Vaccination Question (non-GSD)

Here is my issue. My cats are due for their shots, The younger one I have spread her shots out monthly and she just requires her rabies now, but my older one is due for all of her yearly shots. She had an allergic reaction last year where her face swelled up and she had to go in for allergy protocol with the IV Benadryl. I live on a military post and I spoke with the vet office here. They will not accept titers. She is required to get her shots. I don't know if I want her to have to go back multiple times to get an IV placed each time she gets shots. Should I just get it all knocked out at one time? That way she doesn't have to be stressed out every few weeks? If I had the choice, she wouldn't get them done at all, but that is not an option.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Vaccination Question (non-GSD)

Do you know which vaccination she had the allergic reaction to? Could you contact the vet that gave her the shots last year, and have him/her write you a waiver, due to the allergic reaction? I know it is different and much more complicated when living on a military post. I am hoping they will accept a waiver from your past vet though.

Most times if a dog/cat has had an allergic reaction, the next time the symptoms tend to be worse.

I personally would not want to give them all to her at one time, especially if you do not know which one she reacted to.

My aussie had an allergic reaction to the rabies vaccine a couple months ago, and she received a waiver from my vet to give to A/C, so she doesn't have to get it again.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, because we live on post, they will not accept waivers. Either she gets them or I have to rehome her, which is not an option. It was either her rabies or the feline leukemia vaccine. She got those both on the same day. She was fine with the combo shot she had a few weeks prior. Plus, we are moving in a few months and I have to provide updated vaccination records to the rental company. It is all really a pain.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

I would almost bet it was the rabies vaccine. If you must get them, then if it were me, I would do them a few weeks apart. I would also give her a dose of Benedryl at least 30 minutes BEFORE they vaccinate her.

I haven't had any cats react to the feline leukemia vaccine, but we have had a few react to the rabies.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She has to do the actual IV Benadryl. They keep her all day, place an IV cath and give her Benadryl before and after the vaccines as well as fluids. The vet said the possibility of anaphylatic shock is increased because her face swelled up so bad last year.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 AM

I would give seperate also. It is a pain, and more expensive, but then maybe you could isolate which one is giving the reaction at least. That is so scary. My pup had the face swelling with her second set of vaccines, but I am able to just do titers for now. I'm worried about when I give the rabies though. I am going to wait as long as possible to give her immune system a chance to mature.

Is there any chance they would consider using the titers if you explained the situation?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I already did explain it and that's the issue. The post regulation here requires all pets to be fully vaccinated regardless. We will be buying a house in Washington so this should be her last set of shots. It is just frustrating. If she was human they would exempt her.
As far as the expense, I am not worried about that. It's the stress I am worried about. Every time she goes to the vet she molts. Not sheds but like molts. That is the only time she ever sheds more than Zappa.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, is there any way you can figure around it? Honestly those shots could kill your cat! Is there an extension you can get from the vet until you move?

Both rabies and felleuk have a history of causing adverse reactions in cats. Cats really shouldn't be vaccinated after their initial sets. Too dangerous for them.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I will not be doing the feline leukemia this year. She is strictly an inside cat so there really is no point. However, the rental agancy we are going through for our home also wants copies of the vaccinations. I wish I could get around it. She is actually about 1 month overdue because I was trying to come up with a solution. I know after we buy a house, she will not get anymore and I will titer her.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM

You could ask your vet to give some benadryl before the vaccines.

Also, if they carry purevax rabies, your cat is less likely to react than to a 3 year rabies vaccine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page