Dew claw removal...best age to do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Dew claw removal...best age to do?

Every pup I have ever owned came with dew claws already removed, however, Zoes are not. We are an active outdoor family and the chances of Zoe tearing one in my opinion is good, and something I would like to avoid. As a former vet tech I have just seen too many torn completely off, hanging, or split and know how painful and costly that is after the fact so their definitely going, but when? She is 12 weeks now and won't be spayed until two, but is this developmentally a bad age to have this done, and if so when is the best time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dew claw removal...best age to do?

You do mean the back leg dewclaws?
Those are usually done at a couple days old if they are there.
I was stupid and had Onyx's front ones removed(vets advice, they curled outward) when she was spayed. They must have seen lots of retriever/bird dogs, and it is standard procedure there.
I kick myself for being talked into it. I'd rather take my chances on a tear.
The recovery of the dewclaw removal was harder than the spay. If you are planning on having this done, do it when the dog won't get the vetwrap wet constantly...I had to change it almost every time Onyx went out, we were in a rainy weather pattern.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I was planning on having them all done since she will be hiking and climbing trails with us often, and the front claws are usually the ones torn first which is my concern. I know not every dog tears them, but its horrific when it happens and usually results in the others being removed anyway. I've never had a dog with any- is it uncommon for the front to be removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

All my dogs have had front dew claws. I haven't had a one removed and have had no trouble. 7 dogs. We hike & trail ride almost every weekend. My dogs were all active dogs.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Upon further inspection Zoe has no back ones just front ones...is this normal I thought all breeds had them?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM

I've never had a problem with the front dew claws and never had a dog with rear dew claws. If anything my dogs seem to have used the front claws occasionally. I'd leave the front ones on, i know some vets (especially old school ones) sell dew claw removal hard, but there's no need.

Tyo 2/14/1994 - 4/06/2009
Mo 12/08/2006
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Crowned Member

The breeder will remove the rear ones at just a day or two old~if the pups are born with them(some even have double rear).
I think the fronts are like thumbs, and the dogs use them.
In hunting breeds, they are removed because of the field running/ and the possibility of injury is greater(probably standard protocol that should be changed)...but herding and other work that a GSD does can be just as hard. Very seldom do I read about injuries from the dewclaw getting ripped.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Elite Member

some Dal breeders remove the front dew claws, the breeder I got my dogs from does not. If you keep the nails very short so as they dont snag on anything, they shouldnt be a problem.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You do the rear dewclaws right when they are born. It's NORMAL to not remove the front ones at all.

Most of our GSD's never have problems with their dewclaws. In fact they use them when they run and turn. There are even studies saying dogs with front dewclaws removed show more arthritis and wrist problems as they age.

If I were you, I'd NOT pay for an expensive surgery that (chances are) is completely unnecessary. All the police dogs and Schutzhund dogs you see, they have THEIR dewclaws. And I hike the crap out of my dogs and they have their dewclaws.

Same talk on pedigreedatabase, and one thread has a link about the wrist issues in older dogs if you REMOVE the dewclaw.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ad/263693.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

She wasn't born with the rear ones at all and I do keep their nails short, but it freaks me out she'll tear one. I'm going to read up though I don't want to hinder her or cause more serious future problems by removing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page