another nail question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

another nail question

Ava has always had issues with her nails being clipped and then just before we moved I took her to someone and they quicked her pretty bad and it became almost impossible to touch them. I have been working with her for months now, and now have her to the point where I can trim them easily (she still doesnt like it, but she allows it without having a meltdown)

The problem I am having now is they got too long while I was working with her on accepting handling again. I have been trimmining them a couple times a week trying to get them back to where they should be but the quick doesnt seem to be shrinking back so that I can get them shorter.

Am I wrong in thinking that with regular trimming the quick is supposed to shrink back? Is there something else I can try?

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Re: another nail question

With regular trimming they should start to shrink back, but the other thing that helps is filing. If you can use a dremel, or even a nail file every day it will help with her foot sensitivity and also help to get the quick t recede.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I do use a dremmel after the trim to smooth up edges, Do you think if I use the dremmel daily that would help in between the nail trims?

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Why are you using both a clipper and the grinder? If she handles the grinder fine, I would use that and only that once a week as you can get a much closer trim without hitting the quick. It sounds like you are not trimming as much as you should if the toes are still too long. If you are not sure of yourself and afraid you are too close, you can try and grind back as far as you can comfortably go and then grind off just the outside shell of the nail, leaving the soft inner part. This leaves it exposed and will back up the quick very quickly.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She really doesnt like the dremel at all, so I can still only do very short sessions with it right now. (which is why I was only using it to touch up edges) I'm trying to get her to the point where she is completely relaxed while working on her feet with either the clippers or the dremel so I didnt want to push too hard too fast. But I will start stepping up the use of the dremel.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

Have you tried giving her a treat every time you touch her nails? It might help her to understand that this can be a positive experience.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

yes, that is how we got to the point we are now. We started with just handling the paws and rewarding, then touching with clippers or dremel, reward, small tip on one claw, reward... etc.... She has come a long long way in the past few months. But in the process (and we are not all the way there yet) her nails have gotten longer than they should. Honestly, I dont know what all happened at that groomers. All I know for sure is that while she didnt like her nails done before, she would accept it, but afterwards, she didnt want anyone to even look at her paws very hard. So, I will not trust her feet to someone else again, and will continue to work them back to where they need to be. I guess I just thought I would be closer by now.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Master Member

I've found that smaller sized nail clippers with thinner blades are able to kinda "shave" the nail in thin slices, so you can get pretty close to the quick with them.

I had this cheap small/med size one from Petsmart when Nico was a pup and it lasted me until a few months ago. That thing could shave the nail like cold butter, and I always got remarks on how short his nails were.

Sasha's are a different story, she has really resistant quicks and her nails were long when I got her a couple years ago. They're still longer than I like, but off the floor. I got them back by cutting as close as possible (using multiple thin cuts) and then beveling the edges by cutting the sharp angles off. That kinda exposed the interior like mentioned above with the dremel.

Figures I went ahead and bought a med/large clipper the other day and quicked her bad for the first time ever. I'm going to donate it to the daycare and go buy a smaller one, or probably a dremel.

How close are you getting, can you start to see that black central dot in the nail? Also maybe just hand filing would work if she hates the dremel.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Do you have a pic or a web site where you got your clippers Jessica? I bought new ones, that are much sharper than the the others, which helped a lot, but if I could find an even sharper set I'm sure it would be better still. I do try to shave off and just take a little at a time and I do get it down to that dot, I get close, and have actually quicked her slightly myself on accident (fortunately it was not enough that she even noticed herself). Since I'm doing this a couple times a week right now, there isnt much to take off each time anyway so I've been trying to be careful. I will pick up a hand file the next time we are out at the pet store, that may be the best way to go. Ava's nails are not touching the floor when she stands, but she still has a pretty good clipping sound when she walks on the tile and wood floors.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by exposing the interior. Do you file the underside and the edges to do that?

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Master Member

I bought the clippers at Petsmart and they were just the generic black handled brand. When I went back to get another pair, they had changed to ones with blue handles and they were completely different

To expose the outside, rather than clipping straight across the nail, with the clipper flush against, I would tilt the clipper to catch the edge on an oblique plane and cut the corners away from the middle (if that makes any sense) on the left and right, which left a little point at the top that I'd trim off too.

I will have to post pics later, though it will be hard to do it with these stupid clunky ones I have now.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page