Winter muscle building ideas? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Winter muscle building ideas?

I'm looking for some ideas on activities I can do to help increase Bianca's muscle tone over the winter... We don't get out for as long or get as much exercise in the winter because of the harsh weather-- it gets very cold and when there is un-shovelled snow on the sidewalks (or solid ice) it is very difficult to walk for long distances. My friend whose dog usually plays with Bianca several times a week for exercise is very cold intolerant so we haven't had a playdate with them in weeks.
I'm hoping to start an agility class with Bianca next week but I know that one class a week is not enough to build muscle and stamina... I need to start some sort of exercise program with her but I don't know what we can do that would be winter friendly and not expensive...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Master Member

Re: Winter muscle building ideas?

Do you have a treadmill? I was thinking of trying it out with my kids, though I'm the one who really needs it

I've also seen weight vests for dogs but I don't know if I like the idea. Maybe if training for a weight pulling contest...

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nope no treadmill...there'd be nowhere to put it. I'd have to sleep on it LOL.
I do have an exercise bike, too bad Bianca can't use that!

I thought about maybe having her carry a backpack with some weight in it but I am not sure if that would help much since our walks are not as long as usual in the winter...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Master Member

I'm sure every bit would help, maybe even carrying it around the house?

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Elite Member

Do you have a long hallway or a table that you can set up for 'go arounds'? - course I'm imagining a ball etc involved with this so if she's not much of a fetch girl, you'll need to be creative

Definitely go to the agility class - the trainer may have some good ideas for your area & hopefully you'll meet some prospective playmates ( oops ... that sounds pretty awful )
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Do you have a yard or a playground nearby that you could get to? Maybe set up some homemade/found agility stuff in the yard (I used a canoe for their jumps, for instance) or use the playground for agility.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Knighted Member

im in michigan, so i just bundle up and try to take walks as long as possible. (my dog certainly would stay out all day if i let her when it is over 10 degrees out, though its been in the 20's and 30's most of the winter) the more hills you can walk the better, though i know many part of chicagoland are pretty flat.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: roxy84im in michigan, so i just bundle up and try to take walks as long as possible. (my dog certainly would stay out all day if i let her when it is over 10 degrees out, though its been in the 20's and 30's most of the winter) the more hills you can walk the better, though i know many part of chicagoland are pretty flat.
That's what I do, but with the cold and the snow/ice we often don't get very far... Especially since it is usually dark before I get home and it gets even colder at night (plus not as safe to walk.)
We don't really have any hills around here, well except for a few parks that have small man-made hills.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

play some retrieving games.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

If it is colder than -20C (-4F), Miya refuses to walk so I play fetch with her (40+ rounds) twice a day plus I use a fire hose tug as well to play tug with her.

In the evening, I use a mountaineering headlamp in the dark and wear ice traction cleats called Kahtoola Microspikes (try going to REI)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page