Post Op (neuter) expectations and care - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Post Op (neuter) expectations and care

I made the appointment for Kelso today to be neutered. Dan and I will be on vacation next week so decided it would be a good time to do it so we will be there 24/7 for our guy..

Meeka was spayed emergently due to pyometra which was a long time ago before we were married/living together so I was not really there 24/7 (and she was really sick so I am hoping that recovery time for this is much better) , Allie was spayed before she came to us from rescue, so I just feel like I have no experience with basic post op spay/neuter care as well as post op expectations.

I talked to the vet awhile back but nothing in detail and have not spoken with him since I made the appt today. So I was wondering with all the experience here if you all could tell me a bit more about it? I will be talking with the vet in more detail but think I need all the help I can get.

We will be taking him in at 730 am and picking him up after 330pm. What should I expect? anticipate? Any special preparation for home? And what about recuperation time? He is so so active on a daily basis.....will he be wanting to "go" much sooner than he should? What do you do about that!!!!? Also, with two dogs any tips? Allie will be sweet, I know, but we may need to keep them seperated for a bit?

So basically just whatever info you can offer to help, or reassurance..

Kelso is 3.5 yrs old, not sure if that matters. Also, just out of curiosity... for pre op blood work, pain meds/anesthesia, plus the procedure the total is around $340-360. There is no way we are going to go somewhere else as this vet has known Dan (husband) since Meeka was a pup (16yrs??) and known Kels his whole life. So that is worth its weight in gold. But was just curious to how this compares?

Thanks all!

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Post Op (neuter) expectations and care

I've seen people post with problems but around here neuter recovery is almost always pretty straightforward (and I neuter a lot of dogs because of all the fosters). Hopefully Kelso's will be too.

He may be a little groggy and gorked tomorrow when you pick him up, or he may not, maybe just tired. I would plan to keep him separate from any other dogs he might try to play with for a minimum of 4 days - or at least supervised so that they don't start romping. They usually feel pretty good again by the next day post op and then they can easily open their stitches romping around. Keep your eye out for him licking the incision. Some dogs do, some don't. No special preparations I can think of for home, beyond just making sure he's got a place where he can rest quietly. Discourage him from jumping up on people or furniture if you can.

Bottom line, his neuter will be a little more involved and recovery time a little longer because he's an adult not a puppy but it's still not usually a big deal. And unlike spay surgery, they're not going into the abdomen or anything so there's less potential for a complicated recovery.

Yes, he probably will be wanting to run around and play sooner than he should. Most dogs do anyway. I'd lay in a supply of bones or frozen kongs or other things to keep him quietly occupied.

Check the incision for swelling or redness and watch to see when the skin grows together. They usually heal quite quickly if you can keep them from messing with it.

Let's see... what else? Sometime, especially with adult males, there's some swelling in the scrotum that makes it look like they weren't neutered. That's normal, but can be surprising if you're not expecting it.

Price wise, that's about twice what my vet charges, but we don't do all the extra pre-op bloodwork for rescue dogs under about 7. It's comparable to what we paid for our dog Leo who was neutered at a different clinic and had an undescended testicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Master Member

As far as price goes, I am getting Anna spayed Friday. All costs will be between $75-$100 due to her weight. I was able to get her into a reduced spay thanks to a grant right now in Southwest Mo for larger breed dogs and her cost to me to have her spayed is ...

30 bucks!

Ricci: Sable GSD Born 7/26/2010
Cleo: Dilute Ragdoll Kitten-9-10
Apu: Lovie- 4-10
Charlie and Peewee Cockatiels 1-10
Hercules: Ocelot- Rainbow Bridge 9/10
Bob: Aussie- rainbow bridge Feb 07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

The main issue I've had post-op for neuter is keeping them from getting too rowdy too soon. The dogs I've had neutered were all adults (strays/rescues) and were all pretty much raring to go as soon as they got home so I had to work to keep them from overdoing it. It helps if they are crate trained. When I got my terrier mix neutered (he was a foster at the time but I ended up keeping him) I had left a ball with him when I dropped him off at the spay/neuter clinic so he would have something to occupy him in the morning while he waited for his turn. When I went to pick him up in the afternoon the tech said when they went back to see if he was ready, he was tossing the ball around the cage. I ended up keeping him leashed to me for most of the next few days to keep him from getting too rambunctious.

The only special things I did were to keep them as quiet as possible for a few days and to keep a close eye on the incision for any signs of infection or that they might be messing with it.

Depending on the vet and how he does while at the clinic he might have an elizabethan collar. I had one foster dog who came home with one because he kept trying to lick the incision while at the clinic.

My vet is under $200 I believe for neutering but I am not sure if that includes the bloodwork. I've only had one pet neutered at my vet and that was a foster/rescue kitten so my vet gave me a discounted cost so I am not sure the normal price. Most of the animals I've had s/n were strays/fosters and I took them to one of the s/n clinics.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Crowned Member

They charge by weight here, so it helps to have smaller mixes! I think that is a reasonable price given size, age, and extras. I always do fluid and pain stuff, but ask specifically what they will use now.

Tomorrow my bet is he won't be wanting to go-go. Depending on how he reacts to anesthesia and pain mgmt, when the surgery actually happens and when you pick him up...he may be really out of it.

His age will make it a little harder, maybe have more swelling. I saw a tiny Chi baby once after his neuter in the am, it was the pm, and he was hopping happily around in his little sweater.

I always check the incision and the redness that night, and then in the am each day to compare. The worst to me is the redness from the shaving!

I leash walk if they are a boinger (like Rocco or Bruno). If it's a dog who isn't going to do much anyway, I let them out alone. Rocco was coned. I rarely have to use one on any dog. I simply do not accept their requests to do more. I am very firm about it, which is not typically like me!

GOOD LUCK, please post and let us know how he does.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

Most neuters I've seen were no big deal and the dog never looked back.

The problems I've seen were the same as everyone else: watch for redness and swelling. I knew one Great Dane that the owner didn't pay attention and his scrotum swelled up with fluid like a baseball. It was unbelievably painful and nasty and could have been treated long before it got to that size.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you guys! This will help alot.

But Doh! I think my original post wasn't very clear.. sorry about that. I made the appt today, but this will not be until next week (Feb 4th) as we are on vacation, or staycation as I like to call it!

And they charge by weight here as well, Kelso was in for his 3yr checkup in Sept, so they estimated based on that weight, but told me that it could be 20 bucks or so more if he is in a different weight category (which I do not expect he will be).

Any yes this is for all the extras. Fluids/blood work/ pre-post op pain meds ect. Glad to hear that it is at least comparable, and like I said I do not really mind at all as these folks are the ones that went through everything with Meeka, supportive and know all of our dogs.

his age ...sigh.. I always knew this would probably make it harder, but we waited for reasons that have probably been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Just in case anyone was wondering (as I might) why now? No changes in his behavior that we cannot handle, never was and never will be a dog that will breed or that has bred. Never has been a marker, the most he ever does is hump his pillow once every so often. He actually has mellowed out a ton in the past year. It is just time, we always wanted to do it btw age 2-4. We also came to the realization that SchH is not in the cards right now (not that a dog that is s/n cannot do SchH) but it was all of these things! He loves his crate and often uses it to calm himself down on his own accord, so I do not anticipate I problem there.

It just seems like the most appropriate thing to do, for his best interests!

thanks, and I will be posting , Dan and I scheduled our dentist appts and eye doctor appts the day of so we could be out and about and trying not to obsess, but be in the area and ready to get him. I am tempted to ask if I can watch, heck I see people get "spayed"..would be interesting to see a neuter.

Maybe Ms. Al will get to stay at her grandparents for a day or so! She would like that. But they might try to abduct her

thanks again, I really really appreciate the advice and comfort

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

and Jean, what sort of cookies should I make them?!?

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Elite Member

I've linked the text version - you can click for the photos you wish to look at (it's very tidy )

Dog Neuter Surgery

Given all that your vet is doing, that is a very decent price.

You might want to confirm that the clinic is no longer using ketamine due to the recent recall.
Many clinics have a post-op care sheet that they send home with you, you might pick this up ahead of time so you can be ready with any questions.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ElaineMost neuters I've seen were no big deal and the dog never looked back.

The problems I've seen were the same as everyone else: watch for redness and swelling. I knew one Great Dane that the owner didn't pay attention and his scrotum swelled up with fluid like a baseball. It was unbelievably painful and nasty and could have been treated long before it got to that size.
well we did have problems, poor guy didnt come home for 3 days. his scrotum swelled larger than a softball. more like a melon! the vet said it was very unusual and didnt charge us for the extra stay, it took a long time for the swelling to go down but it did...
we have had plenty of spays and nuetering and this was the first time a complication occurred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page