Check ups? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Check ups?

Who does these with their dogs?
How often do you do them?
What does the vet do during these visits?

Just curious. I have only had them done with my senior dogs (after they hit 10) to have a quick blood draw for testing. We did them yearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Check ups?

You mean the yearly wellness exam? That's what the vet office calls them.

I do them on everyone, seniors go 2x a year, except my one cat, who gets so stressed from the visit, we are still maintaining at one a year as long as we can.

They check eyes, ears, throat, nose, teeth, heart, lungs, body.

Bloodwork on seniors, non-seniors generally but no rules. That is at my request.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Master Member

once a year~shots, basic physical, weight, temp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

Brady and Missy go once a year for check ups

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

Once a year for a physical, HW check, and shots as needed, until they were senior - not just age, they had to be acting like seniors - and then twice a year for physicals and once a year for blood work to check for any underlying problems.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Master Member

Hero only goes to the vet once a year unless there is a problem. A general physical and shots if necessary.

Jake only goes once to our vet unless there are other problems. A general physical and shots. Jake also has to go to the eye doctor for an annual exam.

Bailey is my senior. She goes twice a year. Once for a physical and shots and once for what my vet calls a senior wellness exam where they also do blood work in addition to the physical.

Angel-proud mom of...

Ella-GSD-9 months old
Hero-GSD-9-ish years
Jake -GSD-5 years
Bailey and Gus-GSDs-always in my heart
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:They check eyes, ears, throat, nose, teeth, heart, lungs, body.

Bloodwork on seniors, non-seniors generally but no rules.
My dogs get about the same thing. also, temperature and vet runs his hands over their body to see if there are any lumps or bumps I missed. Discuss the foods they are on. In Buddy's case watch him walk to see if he is developing any problems from his odd gait.

Also a little time to bond with my dog - they both like to give vet kisses.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

I take my dog(s) to the vet once a year for vaccines and to get preventive medicine scripts. I typically don't call it a checkup or a wellness exam (unless there is a complicated or serious problem) when I make an appointment because they would probably charge more. Typically before they give your dog shots they will give it a minor exam and ask you if your dog has been having any problems. Throughout the year I write down any questions or notes that I might have for the vet or his/her staff. If the veterinary office is backed up, sometimes I don't even get a chance to talk to the vet; but if I get an opportunity I will try to ask some quick questions so I don't have to pay for a full office visit; they often earn additional money out of it anyway because they often end up selling me tests and/or medication.

There should be a minor exam before giving dogs vaccines; to make sure there is no obvious problems. Giving vaccines to sick or dogs that are in this extremely bad conditions can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If the immune system is weak, it is not wise to divert immune resources to fight a fake infection (which is essentially what a vaccine is).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

I have normally taken the dogs in for a yearly checkup, HWT, any vax needed and HW/Flea Prevention med scripts. Now that we are on raw, I plan to add yearly blood work to this just to ensure we're doing a good job nutritionally. Will make an appointment for HWT/blood draws and a second for when the test results come back for an exam and discussion of blood work if needed. I may not do this forever if after a few years I feel our diet is working well.

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

This article provides an idea of what your vet should/could be doing - some vets follow this much more closely than others; if your dog is a frequent visitor, I wouldn't expect a comprehensive check at each visit but if you're doing annual or less frequent health exams, your vet should be covering most of the stuff on the list: as an owner, you can check alot of the basics on a daily/weekly/monthly schedule.

from UCDavis:

Physical Exam Guidelines for Dogs & Cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page