Vaccination and Deworming Adults - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Rex

Vaccination and Deworming Adults

I'm a little bit confused on the vaccination schedule for adult dogs. Rex got all his important vaccinations when we first got him. He's gonna be a year soon and I was wondering if there's any vaccination that we have to give him again? As an annual booster. Or are dog vaccinations good for their whole life- sorry if that's a stupid question. I just don't know too much about it.

Also, when we do the yearly vet check up, should we always deworm the dog and/ or do a fecal check or should we deworm more than once a year?

Thanks!

Mom to
- Rex (black/tan male GSD born 03-28-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Elite Member

Re: Vaccination and Deworming Adults

No they are not good for life. States have regulations regarding rabies - some require a one-year and some require a 3 year shot. Hope you also have your dogs on monthly heartworm medication and flea prevention as well.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Knighted Member

Mine get a distemper (sp) once a year and rabies every 3 years because we get the 3 year vaccine. We get a fecal done as well yearly, but I think thats it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

I like to go with this protocol, http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM taken from this site:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM
My dogs get the required rabies vax only, every three yrs for an adult dog. Titers can be run to be sure the dog has immunity to the other diseases and if they are low level, then vaccinate accordingly.

Some training places/boarding facilities have mandatory vaccinations required, they should research this before having everyone unnecessarily vaccinate annually.
Heartworm check annually is the other thing I do, but to worm just to worm, is not necessary. A fecal would be best to be sure what you are worming for, and many heartworm meds, take care of other parasites.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Knighted Member

A heart worm check? All mine get a heart worm pill monthly to avoid contracting heart worms, but I'm not sure if my vet check for heart worms when they get their check-ups. Should I ask for one?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

I never understood the 'worming once a year' thing.

First, I would only give my dogs worming medication if they HAD worms (either as seen by the naked eye or proved via fecal tests).

Second, what good is 'once a year' going to do? The worming meds only kill any worms currently IN the dog. If I worm my dog in January it's not going to keep them from getting worms in March or do them any good if they DO get worms in March.

I worm when they NEED to be wormed.

As for vaccinations, I follow a similar approach (except Rabies - I do what is required by law with one exception).

Any puppies get ONE Distemper, Adenovirus Type2, Parvo and Parainfluenza shot at about 8-9 weeks of age.

Then they get a single Parvo booster shot around 11-12 weeks of age and a single Distemper booster after 4 months of age.

I titer for Distemper after a year. IF it's low I will revax ONCE with JUST Distemper.

After that I do NOT repeat ANY vaccinations - except Rabies.

Rabies is done by law. I wait as long as I can for the first shot then I revax every 3 years. The exception is Tazer, our Cocker. He recently had a Rabies vax and within 2 hours had a seizure. He will get exemptions from now on.

We have several hundred dogs come onto our property every year. We go to events where there are potentially thousands of dogs (pet dogs - not show dogs) and take no precautions coming home. Our dogs are exposed to diseases MUCH more than the average pet ... probably even more than the average performance dog.

I believe that a good diet AND exposure to diseases helps a dog remain healthy.

But that's just how I do it. (I also don't use heartworm meds, either.)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DaniellecA heart worm check? All mine get a heart worm pill monthly to avoid contracting heart worms, but I'm not sure if my vet check for heart worms when they get their check-ups. Should I ask for one?

Generally a Heart worm test is done annually
it takes an average of 7 months for the egg to become an adult worm. Therefore , Many vets will do a "3dx or 4dx test " for heartworms annually. Many veterinarians WILL not allow you to keep buying heartworm medications without annual checks. It takes 3 drops of blood usually.
The 3 dx and 4dx "sanp tests also test for Lyme disease, erylichiosis and (in the 4dx) anaplasmosis (all three are transmitted by the tick biting the dog the saliva transmits these diseases.)

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

It probably depends on where you live as far as HW preventatives go.
Heartworm isn't a problem everywhere. I don't treat my dogs all yr round, only from about late April thru October.
It it really too bad that my local kennel club requires vaccination records, I don't vaccinate other than rabies, so cannot even take classes there

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlIt it really too bad that my local kennel club requires vaccination records, I don't vaccinate other than rabies, so cannot even take classes there
It's worth asking if they accept titers. That way you can PROVE your dogs are covered and not have to subject them to needless vax.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

I have and the lady I asked looked at me with a blank stare, didn't know what I was talking about, this club is kind of old fashioned as far as the board members go. I just go elsewhere now, but they had a great place for agility!
This is on their application:
VACCINATIONS Proof of vaccinations DA2PP (Distemper Booster) for all dogs plus Rabies for all dogs 4 months old or older must be provided before
your dog can be admitted to a training class. You can mail a non-returnable copy of the vaccination report to KKC along with your registration. Or, you
can show a copy of the vaccination report at registration evening. Visiting dogs must have proof of vaccinations

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page