To neutor, or not to neutor - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

To neutor, or not to neutor

Need some help on the subject. Damian is only 5 months old right now. I won't even consider the idea until after he is a year old, but I want to get some insight early on.

I was CONSIDERING breeding him when the time came, but honestly, I know nothing about the subject and I do not want to be an irresponsible breeder. I do not think I can devote the time I personally think is required to breed dogs. (Time to earn titles, etc. to make him breed worthy).

With that said, I was still juggling the idea of keeping him intact. I've gotten all my past dogs neutored and after the process, their energy level and excitement levels were drastically reduced. These were all non-GSD, so I'm not sure if thats how its going to be, thats why I'm asking for help. The only downside I had to the one intact dog I had (Lab) was that he did the humpage a bit more. Not even enough to make it problematic, but it was a bit more often. Once we finally got him neutored, he gained a crazy amount of weight, and just didn't seem excited like he used too.

Can you guys help me gather a list of the pro's and con's to this process so I can figure out the best solution?

I'm sure there is lots of info on the subject, but I think I'm a search noob still. Thanks for your guys' continuous help I've received lately. Its really made my puppy experience an easier one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: To neutor, or not to neutor

How about a vasectomy? Also, you do not need to breed just because he is intact. Another thing to consider is that a lot of intact males are not very social with other dogs so if visiting dog parks is high on your list, you may wish to neuter. Your dog may be perfectly fine with his ballsies but other dogs can and do perceive intact males as threats and a fight could start just because your sweet boy smells too manly.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Knighted Member

Not to be rude
but its
"neuter"
My dog is 1 yr & is not neutered. But is very very excitable.
Quite hard to control sometimes.

Kilo- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Oh I didn't mean to sound like I needed to neuter him if he wasn't going to be bred. I was just throwing my idea's out there. I guess I just want to hear some opinions from people that have experiences on both sides of the subject.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angel RNot to be rude
but its
"neuter"
My dog is 1 yr & is not neutered. But is very very excitable.
Quite hard to control sometimes.
Oops, I'm used to Google Chrome. Edits my spelling for me, I'm at work at the moment on Internet Explorer. Thanks for the fix.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

As long as you are willing to take the extra care that your dog not be able to escape or run off and possibly find a female dog in season and be a daddy, I dont see anything wrong at all with keeping your dog intact. Humping is more a behavior problem rather than an intact dog problem. Ive seen MANY altered dogs hump other dogs and people like crazy.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried about Damian getting out and being a daddy. We have a pretty secure piece of property. With that said, I think it would be pointless to have a vasectomy. From doing a bit of searching, it seems the main reason i personally would neuter is to eliminate the testicular cancer and prostate tumors. Are these issues that common in GSD's? Anyone ever have this problem?

BTW, I love your Dalmatians. I lost the thread where I asked you about behavior issues with Dalmatians and kids, so I never was able to see your response.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 PM

I think it depends on what you want for your dog. I agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMAnother thing to consider is that a lot of intact males are not very social with other dogs so if visiting dog parks is high on your list, you may wish to neuter. Your dog may be perfectly fine with his ballsies but other dogs can and do perceive intact males as threats and a fight could start just because your sweet boy smells too manly.
I have 3 intact males in my house. They don't generally pick fights, but they won't back off of them either. They all pretty much get along with females and submissive dogs, but I have to watch out for other males that are dominant dogs or rough players. I don't find that any of them have any problems with people, but you can tell they get a little antsy and snotty when my bitch comes into heat, and things get a little testosteroni when they hit the 2ish year mark. But I like the way the males fill out, I think it's healthier, and I think it's helpful for my training. Also, I don't really have any of the other problems that people generally associate with intact males- marking, roaming, humping.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

i was going to leave the cashman intact since i had some problems relating to the anesthesia with my last boy when he was neutered, which left me afraid of cash having general anesthesia. then he began having some urinary tract/prostate problems (at age 5), and three vet consults were all the same...he needs to be neutered.

no ill effects whatsoever, he had already reached his full developmental maturity and, if anything, he broadened and deepened even more. it did not change his personality at all, he is still a handfull, but has not had anymore "guy" problems.

http://sera-and-cash.blogspot.com

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Knighted Member

Here is a thought from the veterinary world. (Not always publicly known, since we don't always have responsible owners.)
In general, it is now known that keeping your male dog intact until full sexual maturity actually decreases his chance of prostatic CANCER in his later life. (This isn't to say he wont get an enlarged prostate, but the chances of it becoming cancerous are MUCH less.)
Sexual maturity in large breeds is 2 years of age up to 4, depending on the genetics of the dog.
Not neutering your male early will also help to control excessive growth. Mr. Frodo was a HUGE pup. At just 2 weeks, he was 5 1/2 pounds. (No teeth, and eyes were still shut) He had a shattered hock that we put into a cast. I was concerned that he would become a big dog with a horrendous hind end, and I wanted to give him every chance to grow as sturdy as he could. He is within breed standards today, at a year and 1/2. (84 pounds and much shorter than I had feared.) His muscle mass is beautiful for a dog with a fused hock.
I am going to neuter him. I have a breed bitch in this house, and although he has NEVER been a rude boy, I don't ever want to take that chance. (And playing the separation game is a pain, if I know I'm not going to breed him! )
He will see his second birthday before I go there.
Frodo has never been a bad Boy, because he is not allowed to be. Sniffing, humping and dominance get sharply corrected in this house. (Thank God for the bitch pack! )
He is expected to sit like everyone else for nails, grooming, etc. He grumbles, complains, and sometimes cries like a baby, but he is expected to behave.
If you are willing to be the boss, then I think you will have no problems.
If you can reduce the chance of cancer, and then wipe out prostate problems when you neuter after 2, all the better.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page