Hot Spot Help... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Hot Spot Help...

Well sheesh! I don't know if it's her coat or what, but I have NEVER had issues with hotspots with my stock coats! Gianna had a pretty yucky hotspot on her rump a few weeks back. Took her to the vet, shaved it, antibiotics, and some sort of steroid injection. Healed up nicely, though it was not a cheap visit! I was recommended to use the brown Listerine and Gold Bond...so when she got 2 small ones on her chest...I began that treatment there. It is almost healed up but now she has another one on her rump (other side). The treatments are working and I have not seen her licking or messing with them. BUT is there ANYTHING I can do to decrease their occurances? Her undercoat is incredibly thick, and I do brush her....she likes to "attack" the brush so its a chore and maybe I need to get some help so I can thoroughly get her rear end britches with the undercoat rake to thin it out some. Would that help? Supplements? She is primarily RAW fed, and I do some supplements already? Please tell me this isn't going to be a lifelong battle!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Hot Spot Help...

It is her coat!
The extreme temps you have been experiencing are probably causing havoc on her skin.
I think the moisture that gets trapped in the undercoat is usually the cause.
I hope Gia gets over this, and it never recurs!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM

There is a homeopathic hot spot drop that you can add to the water that one of my friends swears by. She says she is afraid to stop using it because her retriever has been hot spot free for 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Work to get the undercoat out. I had some good moisterizing and antibacterial shampoo at one time... can't recall name. Hopefully just temps and her undercoat.

Mine got them in reaction to allergies and to flea bites. Even one little flea bite would get her going so be sure you have none of those around. They were hateful to battle when I lived in Texas.

Work on the grooming slowly and consistently so she learns it has to be done. I know that they can be a pain especially about brushing around the backside!!

Carla and The Pack
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM

puppymamma,,,can you get the name of the stuff your talking about?? I'd be interested in trying that on my male aussie.

He gets 'fungus' sores that resemble hot spots but much worse,,Right now he's battling 3 of them and I just cleared up 2 others ,,,every year about this time,,I use an antifungus on them, which helps, and usually shave right around the spot area..

Once they scab over, the scab is like road tar,,if you peel it off it's clean new skin underneath,,,he's a weird dog, the vets are stumped so I do my own medicating with him))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

If there are continued hotspots, is this really just about coat? Diet?

Max gets 1 hotspot a year, roughly in the same spot.....

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

I would try to get as much undercoat out as possible... Have you ever tried a Furminator?
If you can dry her really well whenever she gets wet that should also help. It might be a good idea to invest in a forced-air dryer.

For various skin issues I have had good results with a line of products called Douxo. They are available from vets or online from vet supply sites (I've bought it from Entirely Pets after my vet recommended it.) They have one group of products called Douxo Calm which is supposed to be good for hot spots. They have a shampoo, a spray, and a spot-on gel.

Here is the info:
http://www.sogevalus.com/calm_gel.html

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Lisa, not sure if you were asking me,,,but Jag's "thing" has always been worse around this time of year,,I've had scrapings done, and they all tend to be some sort of "fungus"..we figure maybe picking it up outside, rolling around???

He doesn't have a thick coat more a working line coat, thin, no undercoat, he never ever gets them on his stomache or legs,,it's always either on the side of his face, his shoulders or back area.

They start out like an eruption,,of pus, oozy nasty crud,,I clip the area down, keep applying the antifungal stuff, within 3-4 days, it scabs over (like road tar! thick black black scab) and for experimental purposes(LOL) I pulled the scab off as within a day,,(one day open oozy, nasty, next day scab) and underneath is clean new skin...fur always grows back..never same spot

I've tried switching diets, still the same,,he's one of my weird projects,,the result of a merle/merle breeding,,also had weird things show up in his ear canal,,(vets first thought he had ruptured ear drums) she said it basically looked like someone hit him on both sides of the head with a 2 x 4...alot of broken blood vessels..yet he has always passed his baer testing..

One of those weird cases WE seem to get))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Tell me about those weird cases!!

I was just asking in general, since I had never heard of the coat and time of year as a reason for hotspots. Learning something new all the time!

Poor Jag...genetics at it's best?!?!?

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

When I had Gia at the vet that is what they said plays a role as well. Moisture getting "stuck" between the undercoat and the skin causing irritation and creating a "good spot" for bacteria and fungus as well as irritation. That is why it is important to treat the area in a manner that keeps the area clean and dry and shaving helps facilitate the treatment by assuring that it "stops" the cycle so to speak. Obviously I can't shave her to prevent them, but I was wondering if something might help to prevent them. I guess I will need to get a second arm in helping groom her.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page