Endless shedding! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Endless shedding!

What do you guys use to control shedding?. I gave Josie a bath, dried her off then started brushing her and she turned into a shedding machine! i think i spent good two hours brushing her with a rake

Will brushing her everyday help with the shedding?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Endless shedding!

I try to brush everyday. Its been FREEZING here so I skipped out on brushing for like 5 days.
BAD BAD IDEA!
I was outside brushing for soooo long.
They shed 24/7 365 days a year!
Hope you have a good vaccume!

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angel RI try to brush everyday. Its been FREEZING here so I skipped out on brushing for like 5 days.
BAD BAD IDEA!
I was outside brushing for soooo long.
They shed 24/7 365 days a year!
Hope you have a good vaccume!
I have dare devil vaccum LOL. What do you use?. This coming spring i can probably see myself outside with her giving her a good brush!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

Bathing will increase shedding. Diet is a factor in excess shedding, along w/ seasons.
Do you give salmon oil, vitamin E and raw eggs? That will help the health of skin and coat. Humidity in the house helps too.
Brushing helps remove the loose hair and will distribute the natural oils, but if they are shedding, they are shedding...I usually vacuum every day w/ 3 in the house, and my dogs aren't heavy shedders.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlBathing will increase shedding. Diet is a factor in excess shedding, along w/ seasons.
Do you give salmon oil, vitamin E and raw eggs? That will help the health of skin and coat. Humidity in the house helps too.
Brushing helps remove the loose hair and will distribute the natural oils, but if they are shedding, they are shedding...I usually vacuum every day w/ 3 in the house, and my dogs aren't heavy shedders.
I gave her raw egg once she ended up throwing up. Not sure if it's the egg or she just had a stomach bug.

Haven't given her the salmon oil and Vitamin E. Can you give those two together without harming the dog?. How much of the vitamin E do you give?.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

With Max, getting the diet right and finding out that he was hypothyroid and treating for that, cut down on shedding quite a bit. But, alas, he is still a German shedder, no way around that!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

I give human grade gelcaps 1 400iu vitamin E daily, and 2 1000 mg of salmon oil(1 each mealtime)
You can give as much as 4000mg salmon oil for a dog about 80#. Try the egg again maybe, see how it goes?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

They are German Shedders after all. Mine are all blowing coat. Lovely while they are stuck inside all around me during the cold, cold snap.

Good food, coat supplement...and hey, they may roll their coat even faster?! I use brushing, bathing and blow drying. First, you have to spend a fair amount of time with the rake, the brush and the comb so that you remove most of the loose hair. If you bath before you do that, well the coat just comes off in handfuls for you. I bath pretty frequently, shampoo twice and then use a conditioner. The conditioner will help remover hair also. Use only high quality dog products. Then blow dry with powerful dog dryer to remove what is left. This keeps mine pretty nice for quite awhile. It is a bit of a production though. In between, I brush and blow dry outside. It is all a lost cause in the winter and I am claiming the hair lining all the baseboards is my "green" approach to winter insulation. It is going to take the large shop vac to get that up!!

Carla and The Pack
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Knighted Member

My Bo is a big shedder more than Bella, he has more fur seems thicker is it because he is a sable? Not sure, How do you get your dog to eat a huge gel cap for vitamin E, is the Salmon oil actually oil where you can pour it on their food?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Master Member

Haircut (grooming) every 6 weeks and fish oil gelcaps have cut it in half at least,for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page