Giardia and treatment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Giardia and treatment?

Vet just called and said puppy sample had tested positive for Giardia. I have to pick up Paracure (sp.) at the clinic. Anyone have any idea on what this costs and how effective? I have problems with my Vet's fees and won't mind picking it up elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Giardia and treatment?

no idea on cost but you should probably have your drinking / tap water tested.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jax08no idea on cost but you should probably have your drinking / tap water tested.
Unfortunately I have caught Fritz numerous times eating poop and he has drank water from many of the lakes and ponds around my house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

when my cat was having problems and they tested for giardia she told me if it was positive I should get my water tested to make sure. it's not an expensive test and will rule out problems for your kids even though it's probably not an issue.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Master Member

Panacure comes in a powder form and is around $20 depending on where you are located (here in California EVERYTHING seems more pricey at the vets). You can get it likely cheaper from online medicine retailers (i.e. 1800pet meds) but that will take longer to get, of course.

It is very effective but I recommend getting the test repeated about 2 weeks after you finish the regimin. We failed to do this and she needed a longer dose than we originally got (had it really bad) and we ended up having to retreat a couple of times before they told us to retest to be sure it was gone.

It can easily be spread back to the dog (or humans) so you want to be sure to wash your hands thoroughly and clean up the poop ASAP. We ended up treating our yard (due to severity) with a bleach/water solution (I forget the ratio, because it was a couple of years ago).

It can cause lots of problems if it doesn't get treated properly. My dog had lots of digestive issues after having it for about 4-55 months in total. Again, Siena had it very severly and came to us from the Breeder's kennel with it (very prevalent in the Sierra Mountain range)

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lrodptl
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jax08no idea on cost but you should probably have your drinking / tap water tested.
Unfortunately I have caught Fritz numerous times eating poop and he has drank water from many of the lakes and ponds around my house.
Siena ate her own poop (and others) for a while too. We try really hard not to let her drink out of lakes/ponds, but she's a dog so it can be hard. There is a vaccine which we initially did, but then realized having it so long (hopefully) increased her immunity, so we did not do a second one. So far, so good (knock on wood)

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Doc
Knighted Member

Giardia is best treated with Panacur. You can buy a 125ml 10% solution at Tractor Supply for around $18.00. Panacur liquid is not labled for dogs but the 10% solution is sold as Safe-Guard Goat Wormer and is the exact same thing. I would treat at 1ml per 5 pounds for 3 to 5 days. Panacur is very safe with little to no side effects. i would treat for 5 days then retest your pup in 2 weeks. Sometimes Giardia is very difficult to get rid of.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smerry

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DocGiardia is best treated with Panacur. You can buy a 125ml 10% solution at Tractor Supply for around $18.00. Panacur liquid is not labled for dogs but the 10% solution is sold as Safe-Guard Goat Wormer and is the exact same thing. I would treat at 1ml per 5 pounds for 3 to 5 days. Panacur is very safe with little to no side effects. i would treat for 5 days then retest your pup in 2 weeks. Sometimes Giardia is very difficult to get rid of.
Just what I was thinking

Sarah
Cora v.d. Schodin, IPO 1
Brisko v. Yukonhausbrg

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Panacur = Fenbendazole = Safe-Guard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenbendazole
It's also effective against most common canine intestinal worms.

The downside is that it is a mutagen (it can cause DNA mutations).

I like it be because it is cheap (if bought in bulk) and because it works against several different types of common parasites and because it can be bought without a prescription or a veterinary visit.

The reason it is recommended to treat again a second time two to four weeks later is that this drug doesn't necessarily kill all parasites in all life stages. (So if you only treat for one 3-day session; you may kill all the adult parasites but the eggs may survive)

If you store it for long periods of time in liquid form it should be refrigerated. Follow the directions.

If you have a lot of dogs or are affiliated with a rescue or if your dogs have repeated infestations of Giardia or intestinal parasites it might be a good drug for your dogs. Because it is a mutagen I would be reluctant to use it on puppies or a potential breeder unless there is no other practical means to fight an infestation.

The version I buy is for cattle, I dispense it (measure it) with the syringe. It takes about 2 cc (for an adult GSD) per day for three days on food (then repeat once for another three-day session about 2 to 4 weeks later).

IIRC this $120 bottle is enough to treat 11 adult GSD (2; 3-day sessions) (using the Panacur in packets of three x 2 it would cost about $28 for one adult GSD; and about $308 to treat 11 GSDs)
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Safe...pr--0160071000

This is where I got the idea.

Inexpensive canine treatment for Giardia and most common canine intestinal worms.
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beag...tinalworms.htm
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

It's easier just to order the Metronidazole aka flagyl. 250mg bottle is more cost effective to purchase than the fenbendazole. I've had both (granted the safe guard is more a broader dewormer) but the pills are easier to administer. If you look at the website above (which is good info), see the page for giardia and not just deworming.

beagle health tab, you'll see giardiasis.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page