excessive shedder-is this normal? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

excessive shedder-is this normal?

hi everyone!!!!!! my solid black gsd zeke sheds as if it is summer with 100 degree heat....but it is winter and like 25 degrees here in ny! he does not have a double coat. its like a flat type shiny coat. is this normal or could there be another reason and if its not normal,what could be the cause of this??? thanks!!!!

Two disabled veterans. One volunteered, one was forced into service. One will be taken care of the rest of their life, one will be euthanized. Its not right. Both served their country. Both deserve a life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

Re: excessive shedder-is this normal?

What are you feeding? Do you have a humidifier running in the winter, really helps! Vet check for thyroid would be a good idea, sometimes off levels can cause an unnatural shed.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Master Member

dresden is shedding too right now...big chunks sticking out on his back legs, you can just pluck them out...raven isnt shedding as much...only thing i can think of is that dresden really hasnt blown his coat since we got him..he's 15 months
also a lot of people were commenting on here a couple of weeks ago about their dogs shedding now as well..i wouldnt worry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

it's 24 degrees here and my dog is shedding. he's not shedding
excessively but he's shedding. i think it's because he's indoors
and the temperature in our house is 65 to 70 degrees.

if you think your dogs shedding is adnormal go to the Vet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys!!! well we feed him eukanuba large breed puppy dry and the can mixed in(hes not too thrilled with the can)........do you guys think this is bad....do you have any reccommendations for a reasonable priced food???? thanks so much for everyones help!!!
also i whats a url for a picture?? i wanted to put one of zeke like under my name how you guys all have it!!!!!

Two disabled veterans. One volunteered, one was forced into service. One will be taken care of the rest of their life, one will be euthanized. Its not right. Both served their country. Both deserve a life.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

I would look at another type food without corn and other fillers. Wellness, Orijen would be my first choices if I fed kibble.
The price may be higher, but you would be feeding less and picking up smaller poo's as the food would be utilized. Raw egg will help your pups coat and skin along with salmon oil and vitamin E daily. Your pup may love a spoonful of plain yogurt on his kibble, too.
RE pics set up a free photobucket acct and upload your pics there, then you can copy them here to your avatar and other threads.
Here is a step by step instruction thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...ge=1#Post799247

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

thank you so very much. i read your post to my husband and we did buy wellness at first but couldnt keep up with it. we have decided to get it for good now. do i do can and dry? i will also add the supplements you suggest . do i just add them all into his food at feeding time?? the raw egg too? ... we definetely need a change for him. we also noticed he itches a lot too. so he needs better.
thanks for the photo info im going to do it right now....i cant wait till you see him !!!!! he is sooo soooo sooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!
again thank you so much!!! sincerely,noelle

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

I would do the dry, supplement with some egg, yogurt, raw meaty bones, muscle meat, organ meat~ OH you just transitioned to RAW!!! kidding...
You can feed some canned if you wish, I would look at the nutrition threads and if you are interested, raw really is the greatest diet out there, IMO!
Supplements: I use human grade (from Wal-mart pharmacy) salmon oil gelcaps 1000mg 2 a day(you can feed as much as 4000mg per day for an 80# dog). One Vitamin E 400iu 1 a day. Egg, a few times a week or every day if you want, along with the dollop of yogurt daily.
Really, the humidifier helps alot, too.
Can't wait for the pics!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

thank you soo much again i am going to do this,although not raw yet-lol....i will read up on it though id love to try! i am going to make a list for food and go to walmart tomorrow!!!! ill let you know!!
and hopefully ill get the pix on soon - he is solid black and hes in the snow!!!! soo beautiful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page