behavior after neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

behavior after neutering

Hi, it's been awhile since I've posted, but now I have a question. It's been a lot of years since I've had a dog neutered, but I just had my shepard done last Fri. The incision looks fine, but sometimes he acts like he is being bit in the butt by something. He sits real fast or turns in a circle and licks. They did have to shave him and I'm wondering if it's prickly down there. How did your dogs react and how long till he's back to normal? I had him done at a low cost spay neuter clinic a few hr's from my home and no one to call there. Thanks for your insite.

Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it's the only way to live life completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Re: behavior after neutering

Cash did this for a few days/week after his neutering. I think it was caused by prickly hair "down there" Everything else was fine - no infection, redness, etc.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Knighted Member

My Bo was back to himself the next day, he did try to lick his area a few times and I told him no, he listened. My dogs was not shaved to much. I bet he is just itchy from the shave like you said.

Keep watching his incision and don't let him lick it, make sure it does not get infected. Like get really red and oozie.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Knighted Member

Z did the same thing and I thought it had to be prickly. He also did these weird stretches like 'something seems to mising down there' and the stretching made me worry he would pull his stitches out, but he didn't and he recovered just fine.

ETA: Guess I should have added that he had one retained testicle that they had go look for if that makes any diiference.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the encouraging replies. I feel sorry for him scooting like that, but then he forgets it and is normal acting. In fact I have to keep him from jumping and running too much. Not easy, as you guys know. Thanks again!

Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it's the only way to live life completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page