Vet visits, vaccines and other stuff. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Vet visits, vaccines and other stuff.

Hello,

As many of you know we finally got our pup home and she is doing great.
I have few questions for you so bear with me, please.

Here is her "medical history" so far:[*]Born 10/20/2007 [*]Dewormed on 11/17/09, 11/29/09 and 12/11/09 with Strongid [*]Vaccinated on 11/21/09 with Schering-Plough Intra-Trac 3 (Canine Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Bordetella) [*]Vaccinated on 12/4/09 with Fort Dodge Duramune Max 5 puppy shot (Coronavirus, Distemper, Adenovirus type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus)

We haven't taken her to the vet yet since the breeder gave me a certificate signed by her vet that puppies had a checkup on 12/12/09 (day we picked her up).
My plan is to wait with the next Distemper/Parvo booster shot until new year (4 weeks after last shot) and then another 4+ weeks after that.
We were thinking about rabies shot after she is 6 months old.
Does that sound right?
Should we take her to the vet just for a visit anyway?

We were told we need to get her started on heartworm preventive right away (vet's office assumed we would be there for a visit right after we picked her up). We are in CT and temperatures around here are pretty low this time of year so I dont think there are any mosquitos around. Or should I do it anyway? I figured taking my time and not put more chemicals in her may be beneficial.
Which one would be best for her? Interceptor is what the vet recommended.

Also flea/tick preventive is probably a good idea but not sure if that can/should wait till later as we get closer to spring.
Is it better to do that or just vaccinate against Lyme disease? Breeder told me that other than required boosters and rabies this is the only vaccine she would recommend.

Even though I read few posts addressing all those issues I am still very confused about all this stuff. I know its better to prevent than cure, but then there are many cons to all those chemicals on/in the pup so I want to make the best decision possible.

One thing I worry about is her socializing and being outside in general prior to having all the boosters done. sort of catch 22.

Please let me know what you think about all this. Help a newbie out. LOL

Sorry for another long post but I am afraid there will be more questions coming.

Thank you in advance.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Vet visits, vaccines and other stuff.

I'm very excited for you and your family on your new addidition!!

Most breeder contracts require a vet visit within 72 hours of puppy arriving at their new home, I think it's a good idea no matter if it's in the contract or not.

I'll let someone that lives in your area speak to the heartworm/flea/ "stuff" I live in NW Oregon and do neither in the fall/winter months (if at all).

Dr. Jean Dodds' Recommended Vaccination Schedule
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thank you Barb, thats actually where I got my vaccine "schedule" from.

Breeder told me she didnt require us to go to the vet. its not in the contract.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Crowned Member

The problem with going to the vet, is that you will probably have an argument over vaccine schedule. I'm not telling you not to go to the vet, but assuming that your dog was healthy, well-taken care of, etc., then I understand why the breeder made that recommendation.

Dodd's vaccine schedule is by far better than most of the schedules that vets use.

PLEASE do not use the lyme vaccine, it's a terrible vaccine, and has the potential to ruin your dog for life. As for tick control, I'm still trying to find a way to do that without chemicals.

When my dog was a pup, I still took her everywhere and socialized her, but that was a risk that I took.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

I usually do 3 sets of puppy shots and then rabies at 6 months.

You do not need hw preventative at this time of year. Here is a good article to help you understand the lifecycle: http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/heartworm/

You also don't need flea/tick meds at this time of year. I have never given them to any of my animals because they are pesticides and cause adverse reactions and I believe that may also be contributing to the high rates of cancer in dogs. Instead I use Bug Off Garlic during tick season and use NEEM oil spray and shampoo to get rid of fleas (although I've only ever found one on Rafi).

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Ruth.

Puppy is actually scratching a bit but it could be the dry air. we tried to look in spots she goes after but hard to see anything in all that fuzz.

MIKE

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs scratch for lots of reasons and one of them is nervousness! Rafi will often scratch when he gets into a situation where he's a little uncomfortable.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

interesting, so maybe she just scratches because she is still nervous (we only had her for 3 days now).

MIKE

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTThe problem with going to the vet, is that you will probably have an argument over vaccine schedule. I'm not telling you not to go to the vet, but assuming that your dog was healthy, well-taken care of, etc., then I understand why the breeder made that recommendation.

Dodd's vaccine schedule is by far better than most of the schedules that vets use.

PLEASE do not use the lyme vaccine, it's a terrible vaccine, and has the potential to ruin your dog for life. As for tick control, I'm still trying to find a way to do that without chemicals.

When my dog was a pup, I still took her everywhere and socialized her, but that was a risk that I took.
I dont know how I missed this post previously. Thank you Lisa.

yeah, breeder is sure puppy is healthy so didnt want me to spend the money on the vet just for ha-ha's.
and yeah, I know there will be some battles with vets about vax schedule, raw feeding or spaying, but if they get really pushy I will find a new vet.

I read that Lyme vax is pretty rough on dogs and thats why I asked those questions. I will have to research Bug Off Garlic more but seems like many people on here use that stuff successfully.
is it also safe to use human-grade insect repellan on a dog?

MIKE

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

I was lucky that my vet was ok w/ me wanting to go with Dr. Dodds protocol. She did however mark on Karlo's records that I denied the Lyme, lepto and I had to pay extra(office call) to have the rabies vax given on its own. My state law is rabies by 6 months, so at the end of Karlo's 6th month he was given the rabies vax.
One thing that is important, is doing a fecal every couple weeks when you first bring home a pup, as pups usually have worms. Even if they are clean one time, do it again to be sure.
Then it may be a series of treatments to be sure you've gotten those nasty things taken care of.

NO on the human grade insect repellent!!!
Make up an essential oil spray for when you are out in wooded areas and check your pup for ticks often during the tick season.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page