Tipping the Groomer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tipping the Groomer?

I Googled this and came up with. Yes, you tip the groomer, unless it is the owner of the business.

Does that sound right? I took Balto in today. Just a bath and trimming on each end. It is a one person shop and I was not planning on tipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Tipping the Groomer?

Really, it's up to you..

We have just as many customers that don't tip our groomer as we have that do.. The holiday's seem to bring more generosity then during the year..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM

I always tip my groomer...Granted I only bring my Cairn Terrier to her a couple times a year so Daisy usually needs a fair amount of work on the part of the groomer!

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

I tip-it's a self owned business, but I tip 20% because she is so good with my dogs and lets me stay there with them while she is grooming, and it is hard to find anyone who will do that, and also grooms one dog at a time so there's not a ton of dogs there, stressing out and adding to my dogs' anxiety. She deals with special needs and me! Plus they look and smell SO good when she's done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Elite Member

Our groomer owns the shop and Wolf gets a full grooming 3-4 times a year. She does all kinds of extras for Wolf, like clip his nails for free; since she doesn't charge us for that, we tip.

We also give her a Christmas bonus-ok it's not at the level of Wall Street bankers but it's the same idea.

MJ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

I always tip my groomer. Robin is a wizard, she can make Morgan smell like a rose

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

I try to tip. I expect the gals at PetsMart do not make all that much, and they generally try to work me in, they tell me good things about how my dogs behaved, and they treat them nicely.

The mobile groomer I tip too. They work me into their schedule and do all of my dogs in one day. I want them to continue to work me into their schedule and treat my dogs nicely.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

I tip ONLY if they do a good job.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, the groomer that let my dog fall off the table while she was tied to the arm, and then told me she was the most scared dog she has ever met, not realizing that I was watching the dog as groomers and dogs and even customers passed close by her grooming table often petting her.

She seemed to be frustrated about something when I first dropped the dog off. I noted that. She went to brush her out, and the phone rang, and she left my pup tied up on a table to answer it.
The dog fell off the table -- when I said to her "maybe she was scared because you dropped her off the table" she said, "she jumped off the table." The dog was caught by the neck and hanging while other groomers rushed to help her. I was livid. This woman was not even going to tell me about it.

After that, she took my dog where I could not see and gave her a bath. She told me the dog would only lie in the bathtub. Not sure why that was a problem, but ok. The dog was probably still in a state of shock.

After she brought her back out and was grooming her was when people were passing close by and petting her.

I did not tip, and I did not go back there. I did call the manager too.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, I gave a tip. I figured it's the holidays. Balto looks good, though, not exactly what I would have done, but pretty close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page