FUMING!!! Parlour shaved my long haired GSD!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

FUMING!!! Parlour shaved my long haired GSD!!!

I am absolutely fuming!!!

I have a beautiful, old (tattoed) long-haired GSD!
When we rescued her, she had been so neglected that her hair was so badly matted between her hips and legs that she could hardly walk properly. It took us hours and hours to brush it all out.
Whenever it is time for her to be groomed she makes a huge fuss by running away and whining. My heart breaks every time we need to brush her and I must admit that being too soft - I seldom do a completely thorough job.
So this time, after putting it off for a while, I decided to take her to the parlour to have it done.

WHAT A MISTAKE!
We returned to fetch her, only to discover that they had <span style="color: #FF0000">SHAVED</span> her back legs, top of the tail, hips and lower back AFTER WE SPECIFICALLY TOLD THEM NOT TO GO NEAR HER WITH A SHAVER!!!
When I told the parlour owner that I was unhappy with what they had done she simply replied - "I'm sorry. I never told them to do that. But at least now all the knots are out."

As far as I know long-haired GSD's have long hair for a REASON and that it helps protect them from cold as well as HEAT. IS this true?
I have also heard that shaving them can do damage to the hair follicles and permanent damage to the undercoat. Is this accurate?

I have not told Layla (my GSD) how ridiculous her new "mullet cut" looks and will save her the embarrassment, besides - she seems quite happy with her new "hair do" so for now I'll just hide all mirrors. Hehe!

On a serious not though, am I making too much of this or am I correct in believing that it is NOT a good idea to shave a long-haired GSD and thus have right to be angry?
Have any of you shaved your GSDs?

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

Re: FUMING!!! Parlour shaved my long haired GSD!!!

Did you pay for it? I would not have paid them.

I've heard that it is a bad idea to shave a long haired animal because their hair acts as insulation. However, my Mom shaves her himalayans every summer and their hair grows back just fine. It should not damage the hair follicles and should grow back just fine.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

We had two rescues that were shaved - one on purpose to get the fox tails out and the other the foster dropped him off just to be groomed. Hair grows back pretty quickly.

I personally wouldn't do it if not necessary, but if the hair is really matted sometimes it is better to cut the fur off rather than try to pull the knots out. As for damaging the hair follicles and undercoat that is an urban myth. Have had a few surgical shaves on fosters that were all the way to the skin and the hair grew back just fine.

I would be made, but that is one reason I don't have my dogs groomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Knighted Member

I would be mad too!
But her hair should grow back fine.
I know alot of animals that had to be shaved bc of how bad their fur was matted.
Im sure it will be fine !!!

Kilo- GSD
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

If you specifically told them not to... they shouldn't have. However, if the hair was really matted, it may have need to have been done and now you can groom her and not ever let it get that way again.

A seriously matted dog can cause real health problems just so you know.

What do you mean your dog is tattoed? do you mean in the ear? I just found it odd you threw that in there.... LOL

TAMMY
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

I would be quite upset with the groomer if I took my dog in, specifically told them I did not want them to shave or trim any of the hair, and then came back to find they'd ignored my instructions and shaved parts or all of my dog. Personally, I would have complained to the manager and I would also have refused to pay for their services, as they did not perform the services requested.

AS far as the fur is concerned, it is correct that fur protects dogs in both the heat and the cold. If the coat is well-groomed, it can trap air between the layers of fur, which helps insulate the dog from both the cold and the heat.

I don't think that shaving does damage to the hair. I think that's a myth.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

If I told a groomer not to shave my dog or "go near it with clippers," and I came back to pick up my dog, and it was shaved, I would be a little more than annoyed.

If there were mats in my dog's coat that required them to be "cut out," I would hope the groomer would call and say, "there are some mats that we would like to cut out or shave. I know you said - 'no shaving,' - so I wanted to see what you wanted us to do."

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

- PICS NOW UP!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Knighted Member

Reminds me of when we lived in Florida. My wife took sarge to get groomed. They taled her into shaving him completely!!! He had his main and fur on his head and his tail. The rest of him was PINK!!! I almost fainted when I came home from work and this lion looking PINK critter came to greet me at the door. My wife said they told her it would be cooler for the summer. I reminded he lives in an AIR CONDITIONED HOUSE.

His fur grew back fairly quickly so I wouldnt worry about too much but I do understand how your feeling.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

I'd b very mad too, but think that this is one of those thing that will make you laugh in a couple of weeks. Why not to share some pics with us ?

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistleIf I told a groomer not to shave my dog or "go near it with clippers," and I came back to pick up my dog, and it was shaved, I would be a little more than annoyed.

If there were mats in my dog's coat that required them to be "cut out," I would hope the groomer would call and say, "there are some mats that we would like to cut out or shave. I know you said - 'no shaving,' - so I wanted to see what you wanted us to do."
Exactly. They should have called to ask first. I hope you negotiated a lower cost for the job.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page