What is the best brush for a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

What is the best brush for a GSD?

I have tried a couple different types of brushes but I am not happy with any of them.

Any ideas? I'm tired of all this brushing and not seeing any results.

WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Re: What is the best brush for a GSD?

I like an undercoat rake, that is what I use mostly. For the tender areas a bristle brush works well.
I don't feel that a furminator is necessary, though others love it. To remove so much of the fur that is there for a reason, to me seems unhealthy. When they are blowing coat, though is another story.
My dogs do not really shed as I see many other GSD's doing, if I run my hand down their back, I never come up w/ a handful of loose fur. I think it is the RAW diet, eggs and oil supplements that helps w/ such a healthy coat.
BTW, I don't bathe them often either, that can add to the unnatural shedding.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Great question!! Im going to try a soft bristle brush sometime this week.I tried some other kinds and my GSD acts like im brushing him with rusty razors,lol he whines and bites it and carries on.And I dont even press down,but I figured a soft bristle brush would gently brush off the fur and be soft enough to feel good.I will let you know how it goes...wish me luck!! lol

Just found out a GSD makes a GREAT foot warmer!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

What have you tried? lol Not being short, just don't want to recommend something and you have already tried it. I would say the furminator... but I know some people are not fans.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Crowned Member

I use a rake to remove undercoat. After the coat is kinda brushed through, I use a metal comb to really get it groomed. When blow drying, I use a pin brush for fluffing.

I don't use the fuminator. Hated what it did to the hair. If you do want to really get at the shedding, I use a Mars Coat King with 10 blades. It is really nice, but you can end up with a bald dog if you do it too much.

Carla and The Pack
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what they are called... One is a regular brush with polymer looking bristles.... 1000's of them. One is a short skinny steel brush with a couple hundred of them I would guess. They are short (1/2 inch) and about the size of angle hair spaghetti. (Yes I am hungry) The last is one of the undercoat brushes... Or that's what I was told when I was buying it. They are pretty long... maybe a 1/2 inch and they come to a point at the bottom.

I have seen one that is 2 rows of bristles like the undercoat brush... I have also seen one with 1 row that spins when you pull it through the coat.

The furminator is like $50 here. Didn't want to spend that kind of money for something I don't know works.

Trauma is shedding like mad. He should be hairless by now. We usually brush him a couple of times a week. We have to vacuum a several times a week and could do it every day.

He didn't shed much at all until he was about 8 months old. Now it's a never ending shed. I have never seen nothing like it in my life.

Is there any tricks to this thing? I feel like hooking him up to the vacuum cleaner and letting him wear it on his back. His hair is every where. I keep a blanket on the back seats in my truck and if I roll all 4 windows down while riding you are blinded by the amount of hair flying around.

WOW
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

Feed a good food, groom a lot, I use doggie blow dryer outside when I can. But, still, mine remain decidedly German Shedders.

If I am getting a big undercoat blow, I do get as much undercoat with brush as possible, then bath. During the bath I use a conditioner as this will really help loosen undercoat. Then the blow dry, and a hurricane of hair. Often this loosens more so a second round is sometimes needed to really finish within a couple weeks. This lasts quite awhile with mine but if I fall down on regular brush and comb, we need it sooner.

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

You mean Ol' Roy is not a good food? The guy at Walmart said it was the bomb!

WOW
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Trauma may be losing that puppy undercoat, I know Karlo had a bit of an undercoat shed at 8 mos, I think he was also getting in the winter undercoat(which is denser) as well.
Seasonal temp change, location, humidity or lack of, may be the reason, or a change in diet.
If Trauma continues to shed unnaturally, I would get a vet check(thyroid) to be sure it isn't medical.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

My pup is 8 months and doesn't have much to shed. He hasn't put in any appreciable undercoat yet. I did work hard to get his puppy coat out though. Maybe it is the loss of the puppy fuzz you are experiencing? I did grooming and baths and with the conditioner a lot of loose puppy fuzz when down the drain over the months.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page