Enhance; Digestive aid. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Enhance; Digestive aid.

http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/prod...t_ID=AJenhance

I'm looking for a new probiotic/digestive aid for Bear due to his tummy issues.
I'm not trying to self treat him, he will be going to the vet.

Will a product such as Enhance help him? Can it hurt him if he doesn't need it?

Has anyone used Enhance before? Did you like it?

Can someone recommend something better? I like this one because it seems to have probiotics and Slippery Elm as well.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

Re: Enhance; Digestive aid.

Ingredients listing for the product - you can try it & see if it helps, at least the company seems nice ... as a biochemist I have alot of issues with the claims companies make regarding 'take this dried up enzyme, add to a dogs's stomach where the environment is nice & acidic (just in case the enzyme survived dessication, now it also needs to survive acid hydrolysis), after some time, dump into the intestine where the pH is now better for enzyme life: oops, kinda crowded around here ... wish all those <u>dog</u> enzymes would get outta my way so I'd have a chance to get to work, heh where are my cofacters, these dog factors are all non-optimal - I'm from a plant/bacteria! ...... oops, well at least I recognise that green color'

Before I used any of these products, I'd contact the manufacturer & ask how they assessed "specific activity" of the enzymes before adding them to the product? what "specific activity" did they measure in the compounded product? how was the product reconstituted for the assays? what were the assay conditions? how is this comparable to a dog's digestive system? what substrates were used to measure enzyme activity & how is this comparable to what I'm feeding my dog? how are the enzymes stabilized while in the dog's stomach? what in vivo studies were done? ...

Personally I'd be more inclined to add a herbal supplement such as this one - I really like this company as the quality of the herbs is excellent.

Has Bear been antigen tested for Giardia (it's very common for fecals to show negative for giardia unless it's overwhelming), also consider bacterial overgrowth, SIBO/EPI, liver & kidney function, has he had any bloodtests done? (depending where you live & your vets, these can be very expensive & nothing conclusive may show up so I would balance need vs cost)

Sometimes just having an overload of parasites & the subsequent worming meds can overset the normal gut flora & that takes months to recover rather than weeks.
Have you done a single protein diet with him? ie, no treats etc, just chicken meat, bones, organs (with all skin removed)?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Re: Enhance; Digestive aid.

Quote:
Quote: oops, kinda crowded around here ... wish all those dog enzymes would get outta my way so I'd have a chance to get to work, heh where are my cofacters, these dog factors are all non-optimal - I'm from a plant/bacteria! ...... oops, well at least I recognise that green color'

Bear is on a pretty boring diet. He's only getting pork hearts and turkey wings at the moment.
At first, he a firm poop and 2 poops where he would squat and strain, but only tiny bits of liquid poop would come out.

Recently, it's gotten to where he'll poop 5-6 times a day but only in small, watery amounts. So it's definitely gotten worse even with a boring diet. It cold be that he can't tolerate pork, but his stomach doesn't make any strange noises, nor does he fart up a storm.
We're going to be switching to beef hearts soon, maybe it will get better, maybe not.

I posted another thread in the health section about him because he had an accident on the carpet.
I've considered all of the above and will get him tested.

Quote:
Quote: Sometimes just having an overload of parasites & the subsequent worming meds can overset the normal gut flora & that takes months to recover rather than weeks.
This is why I was wondering if I should get his system back on track (over the course of a few months) with some probiotics.
The Enhance seems to have the "Probiotic Blend 123 mg/1 billion CFU in total: Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Bacillus coagulans, Lactobacillus salivarius" which is what I'm looking for right?

Would the one you linked do the same thing?

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page