Looking for Vet recommendations in CT - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Looking for Vet recommendations in CT

Hi again,

this will pertain more to the Connecticut people but all are welcome to chime in.
I am looking for a good vet for a pup I will be eventually getting but dont really know how to find one.
When I had my boxer I used to take her to Animal Medical Clinic in Manchester to see Dr. Valli and I loved her. she was very knowledgable and actually seemed to care about us and the dog.
Since then the clinic changed owners or whatever but that doctor no longer works there and apparently the service is not what it used to be. Now Dr. Valli works about 40 minutes away from me and I feel this would be too much of a drive if something happens. or am I being unreasonable?
Anywho, I was hoping to find the vet close by I can rely on that would hopefully be an "expert" on the GSDs and someone who is not against RAW diet.
There is Bolton Veterinary Hospital not too far away which is a 24/7 facility, but I have mixed feelings about them. unfortunately I had to bring my boxer there couple of times. one time her stomach twisted and they had to operate in the middle of the night. I was sort of upset when every 30 minutes the vet would ask me if I wanted her to continue or put the dog to sleep.

I am not planning on visiting the Vet too often but would rather have someone good in my corner if something comes up.

I live in Vernon, CT.

Do any of you have any specific recommendations?

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Looking for Vet recommendations in CT

Who cares if the vet doesnt like the raw diet. Mine doesnt...and they dont approve of me not neutering him. I just ignore it. Hes MY PET and I will make the decision. After I said my opinion...they didnt really say anything to me anymore so...I think you should be fine in that area.
Um....I go to one in Saybrook...but thats prolly way too far for you..

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Crowned Member

The new vet (I moved 3 hours away from "my" vet) that I take all my critters to is against raw and also frowns upon me not neutering Stark right away.

I don't care.. I researched, have my facts and always present them to him when he bring up the subjects. That quiets him really fast.

"My" vet back home (the one Beau goes too) is amazing, I miss him so much!

He was pro-raw and actually encouraged his clients to research it. He is the one who got my parents to go raw with Beau and me with my cats! He was also very knowledgable in the whole neuter/spay debate and always chimed in with new research and helped you understand things when you got confused. He was amazing.

If I do neuter Stark in the future, I will probably go back to him. He's the only one I really trust with my pets.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I know i will not get it all but that would be an ideal situation. I know I can just ignore their opinions on some things but would rather not have to argue every time it came up.

does anyone know of a good website with vet reviews? I tried googling it but all I came up with were "chain" clinics and they are not getting good reviews.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

What about trying a holistic vet in your area?

They are few and far between but you may be able to find one close by.

Unfortunately there are none in my area that I can get too so we are 'stuck' with the one we have. Not that they are horrible, but they could be better..

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM

are you near Canton CT? This link
http://roaringbrookpet.com/veterinarians.php

I've met Jacoba Van der Gessin(sp),,she is great,,she worked our Agility trial last spring, everyone loved her, she is not only vet but does chiropractic stuff on dogs,,I know nothing about the other vets there, but I do know I would use Coby if she was near me)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Diane, its 26 miles away from me. I dont know if I want to drive that far.
I dont even know this: how often will I have to visit the vet at first? I know eventually it will be just vaccinations but with the pup it would be quite often, right?

MIKE

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: smyke...
Now Dr. Valli works about 40 minutes away from me and I feel this would be too much of a drive if something happens. or am I being unreasonable?
IMHO a good vet is hard to find. My vet is about 35 minutes from my house and well worth the drive. I have a secondary vet I like who's about 5 minutes from here I sometimes use if I don't have time to drive up to Micanopy. For night time/weekend emergencies I usually go to the local emergency hospital.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

so maybe going with who I know will not be such a bad deal after all. if I only have to go there once in a blue moon then 40 minutes is not that bad.
And I do have a 24/7 hospital within 15 minutes.

any input on frequency of pup visits that are absolutely necessary?

MIKE

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 PM

I agree, it's hard to find a good vet now adays, if you like yours I'd stick with them )

Frequency,,well for me, the trips were the basic puppy boosters, sure over the years I've had a few trips that weren't planned, but none that were real ER visiits,,of course my vet is 15 minutes away, so I'm pretty close.

I would say barring any illnesses,,just the basics with a puppy and then once a year for the annual exams,,

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page