Do GSDs smell worse than other breeds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do GSDs smell worse than other breeds?

You might have sees my other threads on here trying to choose a pup and a breeder but I thought this needed its own thread so here is the story:
We visited the breeder yesterday and we loved everything about her and her dogs, but after we left my wife threw this bomb at me: I dont know if I could handle this smell.
Now, I have allergies this time of year so I could not smell anything even if that dog pooped on my shoes. We both had dogs before and yes, there is some sort of dog smell and you cannot help it but according to her it was very bad inside this lady's house.
I told her that its most likely because there is not just one dog there but quite a few that go through. some of them are in the kennels outside so that may add to it. there was a lot of taxidermy displayed inside and that all of it could contribute, but now she is not 100% convinced.
I was totally off at her fist but since have cooled off and we will have to sort it out.
In the meantime I want to know whether GSDs actually smell worse than other dogs. My aunt used to have one and I dont remember her house being smelly, my boxer had some odor but nothing that would be considered bad, and the mutt my wife used to have did not bother her either.
Once we get a pup we are planning on feeding him/her RAW diet and I hear that will give us a less smelly dog anyway. We could give him/her baths more often (once a month or 2) but I know you are not supposed to do that too often. or is it Ok as long as you use soap/shampoo that will not strip the oils off their skin.
I read about wipes and other stuff to "deodorize" your dog but I dont know if that is a good thing since dogs may hate to smell anything but their natural scent.
she couldnt even describe to me what that smell was exactly but it sounds like it was an intensified "garden variety" dog smell.
Since we hadnt had a dog in a while maybe she simply forgot how it was. I know that even if the dog did smell a bit we would get used to it but I think her biggest fear is that our visitors would not like the "stink". We have friends who I hate to visit because they smoke inside sometimes and it bothers me so I sort of know where she is comming from if it really is that bad.

What do you think?

PS.
if Mods think I posted in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do GSDs smell worse than other breeds?

None of my three GSDs smell.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

I haven't noticed a doggie smell stronger than others when they were on kibble, now that she's on raw I notice nothing but can SURE smell other dogs now!! Sometimes after they've been outside on a hot day for a while I can smell a little doggie odor, but it goes away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I would never think that the "smell" part may be a problem but it popped up and I need to address it. Could have been something specific in the woman's house that smelled and not necessarily the dogs but I could not cofirm it one way or the other myself.

Rosa, do you do anything specific to make sure they dont smell or its just the way it is?

MIKE

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I have two GSD's, and neither of them smell, the only time I smell anything is if they are having a bout of bad gas then they are a bit smelly, ha ha!

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

I only notice a smell when Dante's wet - Love that wet doggie odor not!

Dante's on high quality kibble.

Oh and when my mom visited recently I asked her when she first walked in my house and she said she didn't smell anything.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM

A healthy dog should not have an offensive smell unless it rolled in something gross. Both of my GSDs smell fresh, I use them as pillows all the time.

-Sarah

Amara CGC

CGC
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

What does she feed the dogs? Dogs on crappy foods (pedigree/etc) tend to have more of a smell since their bodies excrete the byproducts through oils in their skin.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
The Italian One

Honestly, I think my GSD naturally smells better than our black lab or golden/malamute mutt.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

There you go Barb.
Maybe even better way to test it out is with the mother in law but your own mom usually is good enough. LOL

MIKE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in