Vet & Revolution? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Vet & Revolution?

Ok, I don't really know where to put this, so I will put it here.

I came across a vet's office today, when working on a school project, that doesn't let their clients use Revolution on their animals. They only believe in the new Comfortis(sp?) flea pill, frontline, advantage, K9 advantix, heartguard, and interceptor. Is this unusual? I have never came across a vet's office before that doesn't let their clients use Revolution. What are your thoughts about this?

I personally use Revolution on Ivy and would never go to a vet's office that doesn't let you use Revolution. Thank goodness where I take Ivy to, they are ok with it , they actually prefer Revolution over all the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Vet & Revolution?

My vet won't sell revolution, but they really cannot tell me what I can use or not. I do use Revolution from my previous vet and the new vet told me it was ineffective? We don't have a flea/tick problem so next time will just go w/ a heartworm preventative vs all the other pesticides that revolution has.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I use Revolution monthly for prevenative, not because I have a problem with fleas/ticks, but I just thought it is really weird how out of all the vet offices I have to interview and do a project on for school, this is the only one I came across that doesn't use Revolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I wonder if the vet has chosen to just not carry the product? There are so many products out there that vets pick and chose what they think is the most effective or they can sell most of.

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 PM

I use Frontline Plus on both dogs. I did try Comfortis on Sassy, but switched because the flea has to actually bite the dog to die. Since some shepherds can be sensitive to skin problems I decided that comfortis was not right for my furkids.

While the comfortis did work-didn't like the idea that the flea had to bite her before dying.

I bought the Frontline Plus from Costco.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

It wasn't at all effective for the ticks around here when my neighbor used it.

I don't think it's unusual for vets not to carry all the products -- they can make more money by buying in bulk, and thus selling only a limited number of products.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, Revolution doesn't do much for ticks. It works great for fleas though. We use it and like it. Our vet seems to be moving more towards Comfortis, but I still prefer Revolution.

Also, people need to check the active ingredients. Just because something kills multiple parasites, doesn't necessarily mean it has any more pesticides than something that kills fewer of them it may just have broader spectrum application. I think the only active ingredient in Revolution is Selamectin.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Elite Member

The vet's office that Chris is at doesn't sell it either. Actually the last 2 clinics I've worked at wouldn't carry it either. He said they choose not to sell it at his clinic because they feel a topical heartworm preventative is just too risky, especially being that we are in Florida. It seems to work for fleas, but he said it also doesn't work on ticks. The vets just feel that there are products out there that do the same thing, only better than Revolution.

-Jackie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to KohleePiper

My vet only sells Revolution and swears by it.

All 3 of mine use it and no problems.

Jessica

Diesel - GSD Sable 09/2008
Kohlee - Belgian Groenendael 02/2007
Piper - Pit/GSD mix 08/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page