Winter coat in the south??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Winter coat in the south???

Hi!

So dh and I are originally from the Great Lakes region, and are going up to visit his parents in Milwaukee for Christmas this year, and Minnie is coming along. We are taking some much needed vacation, and plan on spending some time in the Porcupine Mountains snowshoeing. We are very excited, but I'm wondering about how this will affect Minnie. We currently live on the gulf coast of Texas, and winter doesn't really get down below the 40's here. My question is if Minnie will grow a winter coat here (she's an inside dog as well), or if we should buy her a coat to wear while snowshoeing, where the temps should be in the teens and twenties. We think we're going to get her some boots anyway, since her toes won't be used to the snow/ice, but do you think she'd be warm enough? All of our dogs up north always grew in their winter coat, but I don't know if she will since we live down here. She's 9 months old, so this is her first winter since she was a pup so I really don't have anything to go on.

Thanks!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Winter coat in the south???

I would consider getting her some form of cover, like a coat. Both Hannah and Perle came from warm climates, and neither of them had an adequate winter coat. Hannah took forever to acclimate even though it was summer when I brought her home, she would shake and shiver when it got much below +55F. Perle was even worse, as I brought her home in mid-winter, and her coat was also thin and sparse.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

Jolene, who is GSD and Sheltie does have coat changes here in SC. If she wasw up in Alaska and got acclimated, she would REALLY have a THICK winter coat !! As for booties, my friend makes them for sled dogs, though he hasn't moved everything from his old smaller place to the new larger place, but there are lots of folks that sell them, and they aren't expensive. If they are you are getting ripped off.

Powell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

I vote for Better Safe Than Sorry. I'd get a coat and bring it with, just in case.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Any recommendations on coats or boots? I was looking at the ruffwear boots, but wanted to wait a few months to get her the right size as she's still growing.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Knighted Member

I have heard some good things about this site. Not overly fancy, and good prices.

Dog coats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

I've used the Ruffwear K-9 Overcoat and the Grip Trex Boots here in Calgary. Our winter last year went down to temperatures of –30ºC (–22ºF) for several 3-4 week periods, and the boots are great for traction on snow and ice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

Coats are pretty easy to make if you sew at all. I started by making a pattern from an old quilted human coat and used that (with it's modifictions) to build a couple of fleece coats for the Barker Sisters. We would use them only when it got bitterly cold in Wyoming. It takes very little fabric and the coats are warm.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I can sew a button on my pants and that's about it. I don't even have a sewing machine!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page