Odd Vet Prices - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Odd Vet Prices

So, I called around today to some vets to get an idea of what blood work and a urinalysis would be for Chance. Plus asked about exam prices so I don't end up surprised with a tacked on $50 bill for touching my dog. (Most vets just end up petting them in my experience and don't even look at them properly)

So I call the vet Chance went to for his heartworm test. $130 for blood work and urinalysis! Which is an awesome price compared to the other $200+ prices I've been quoted or the people who wouldn't even give me a price.

I ask about an exam fee and she asks the vet and he says "$27 with vaccinations included and $40 without them".

.....She told me this and I made sure I heard correctly, I said "so it's $40 if I don't get him a rabies (Minimum vaccine required to get the $27 price) vaccine but if I get him a rabies it's only $27?" and she confirmed it again.

So.....To get less things done....I'd have to pay $13 more.

Does anyone elses vet do this?? I guess it's a way to encourage people to vaccinate but I've made it clear to these people that I would NOT be revaccinating Chance past rabies since those are required by law. (And he currently has a 3 year rabies)

Though at least I don't HAVE to pay it. (Unlike most vets who require it then do nothing) She said I could do everything else without having to get an exam thankfully. I mean I give my dog a physical exam twice a week and check his mouth almost daily, I'd notice something was wrong faster than a vet so it's not totally needed IMO anyways but it was just weird how they priced it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Master Member

Re: Odd Vet Prices

It makes sense I guess. You're just talking about the exam fee though, correct? The rabies vaccine itself will cost an additional $15 or what ever it may be? If that's the case they are probably just doing it to help save the consumer a little money. Exam fees are the worst!

The vet my parents used years ago charged a flat $25 exam fee (this was about 6-7 years ago) no matter what you went in for.

My vet charged a lowering exam fee each time I took Alexa in for her puppy shots. The last visit there was no exam fee.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

No, the exam fee PLUS the rabies vaccine would be $27 together. If I were to just get the exam and no vaccine, it would be $40.

See, most vets do charge a flat fee no matter what you go in for (Even if they don't actually give your dog an exam) but these guys are actually good about not charging you for unneeded cost. I just thought the exam fee (If you buy it) was priced weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Master Member

Ohh...yeah that is kinda weird then lol.

Maybe they messed up on the pricing? You're probably right, it's most likely just an attempt to keep people getting their pets vaccinated, at least for rabies.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Our vet does not charge an exam fee if we are there for shots, but there is an office visit if there is another reason we are there.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM

my vet is like danielle's.

If your going in for say, an ear infection, you will be charged an office visit (plus meds if you need them)...when the dogs go in for say, a vac, I get charged for just the vac..

I also don't vac my dogs anymore, but do go for yearly Snap 4's, at which time I am charged 60$ for the snap 4, and then 15$ per dog for annual check up...
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

What type of 'bloodwork' are you running? If it's just the CBC then you are being REALLY gouged on the price.

Check out Dr. Dodds test prices (you have your vet draw the blood then mail it to her):

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adob...20HEMOLIFE.pdf

For $95 you get CBC with differential, Chemistry Panel and T3, T4, free T3, free T4 and TGAA thyroid testing. That's a very comprehensive blood workup!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

As for the exam fees - if they are not examining my dog then I'm not paying an exam fee.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

For Karlo's puppy shots it was $13 for the "service charge" $16 for the exam fee and then the cost of the vaccination.
I spaced out the rabies from the regular vax(they wanted to give it at 16 weeks, no way!) I was charged the exam fee each time, I questioned it and the office girl waived it once.
At each set of vac's, all the vet ever did was check his testicles and pet him, didn't do a temperature or ear/mouth check. $16 for that, maybe Karlo thought it was worth it, but I didn't.
I got lectured on no lyme or lepto vaccine as I declined them every visit. I'm sure I have a big red X on his record for future visits.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Quote:For $95 you get CBC with differential, Chemistry Panel and T3, T4, free T3, free T4 and TGAA thyroid testing. That's a very comprehensive blood workup!
I'm not sure about the rest of it but I know it includes the CBC and chemistry panel as well as the price for the urinalysis. (One vet wanted $223 for a CBC and urinalysis....)

I can't open a pdf on this computer but I'll check it on the computer downstairs when I go down there. How would I need to package the blood to send??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page